Renk Workshop: The pursuit of perfection on a shoestring budget

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Renkenstein, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Renkenstein

Renkenstein Well-Known Member

I've done more work on my fixtures than I have building guitars, but my whole point in this endeavor was to do just that. I wanted to find the best way to produce guitars on a small scale that will allow me more time to focus on the finer subtleties of the trade. After every build I go over my notes and images and find ways to eliminate wasted time, maximize efficiency, and increase repeatability.

I'm a bit of an efficiency buff. Revising process and procedure is part of both my jobs, and it suits me well.

Thank you!

poro78 and Blackegg like this.
  2. SimonB15

SimonB15 Active Member

I'm thinking a neck pocket jig has to be next on my list of things to build, too. Ideally, it will be adjustable in such a way that it can also be used to rout things like pickup planes for LP style top.

What sized router bit are you using for the neck pocket? In my mind, given the overhead of the rails on a jig like this, you'd need a pattern bit with at least 1-1 1/2" of cutting depth to reach the depth of the neck pocket...? Curious what other people are using.

Renkenstein likes this.
  3. Renkenstein

You'd be correct. I need a MUCH longer cutter for this. I'm doing flat tops, so I basically went just deep enough to establish an edge for the bearing to ride and then I take it to depth without the rails. I only have a 1" and a 1/4" pattern cutter, and that's the achilles heel of this contraption here.

This could be adjusted to accommodate a neck angle by way of shimming, but I too would want to make it inherently adjustable by design if that were my intended use.

SimonB15 likes this.
  4. rusdfh

rusdfh New Member

I like the sliding thing in the action picture.

Renkenstein likes this.
  5. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

Renk, I have no idea what you're going to do with the steel jig!? Could you explain?

Renkenstein likes this.
  6. Renkenstein

7. Renkenstein

I LOVE the sliding thing in the GIF!!! I couldn't stop playin' with it. My parents always got onto me for that as a young'n.

SimonB15 likes this.
  8. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

I can't watch the second video here in Germany :/ Sounds interessting!

Ok, I see. The guy is fast but it scares me how he is joggling the router! And I think it's still a good idea to remove most of the material with a forstner drill bit before.

Renkenstein likes this.
  9. Renkenstein

Oh sure, I'll still preserve my router bits by removing most of the waste. That's just good common sense. You still want to follow the rules of the router, this just makes it a little bit easier and opens a whole new world of template and jig making.

10. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

Super cool! I have a good friend who is a pipe fitter and master welder. I'm going to hire him him fabricate something similar for routing the saddle slot in acoustic bridges.
    Plunge router that moves horizontally on linear bearings.

Renkenstein likes this.
  11. JSH

JSH New Member

I was looking at a set of DIY plans for one of these, yours looks far more sturdy than the ones I looked at, do you have drawings and dimensions you'd be willing to share?:bowdown:

12. Renkenstein

I have no drawings, but I can def get you some key dimensions next time I'm in my shop!

I basically stuck to Pat Hawley's plans on Woodgears.ca

I deviated a bit and used a 5/8" steel shaft and a 4" drum(only had up to a 4" hole saw to make the discs). I went ahead and made extra discs and made the drum wider than those plans so I could get a V or Explorer shapes through it. I saved a bunch of money getting pillow block bearings and a pully for a 5/8" shaft than I would have if I used the recommended sizes from the plans. There is no difference in deflection that I've seen and I've had some HARD stuff thrown through there pretty aggressively.

For the deck I used 2 pieces of MDF glued together for increased torsional rigidity. It's worked pretty damn well, and is a go-to tool in my shop. I cannot recommend one more.

JSH likes this.
  13. Renkenstein

Oh, and all hail BUBBLES!!!

Green Bastard...from parts unknown!!!

JSH likes this.
  14. Renkenstein

My suggestion...make goood friends with that guy. I operate in tenths or hundredths. To have the assistance of someone who's used to working in thousandths on a daily basis is a flippin' godsend! I'm fortunate to have stumbled across a fast friend in my area with masterful machining skills and experience. He's helped me immensely, and I'm eternally grateful.

Speaking of which...progress on the pin router!!!

[​IMG]

Sliding assembly and adjustment. I know the adjustment plate goes onto the end of the arm, that's about all I know for now.

[​IMG]

Backbone will be bolted onto the base. Over-arm prepared for welding to the backbone. The backbone's connected to the...base bone...enough of that.

[​IMG]

Found the motor for my pin router! Porter Cable 6902 1-3/4HP 27,000RPM BADASS. $50 at a pawn shop(motor alone costs $137.99 new on Amazon). It didn't come with a 1/2" collet, but came with a 1/4" collet and a 3/8" round-over bit! I can definitely use that! I'll pick up a 1/2" collet on Amazon.

JSH likes this.
  15. JSH

JSH New Member

Lookin Good Renk....
    Only TWO more days till season 9!!!!

Back OT, Much appreciated.
    I wouldn't be working with anything over 24 wide, so knowing the 5/8 4 inch will work (actually came up in discussion with my Bassist last night.)

I did some time in a machine shop when I was in my 20's, after working those kind of tolerances an inch seems like a mile now...

Renkenstein likes this.
  16. Renkenstein

I wasn't aware that Season 9 was so close!!! Ohhhh man, can't wait. Show cracks me UP!

JSH likes this.
  17. Renkenstein

I've got this lopsided image in my head of Canada. Trailer parks, cars without doors, lots of luthiers, and magical trees that produce the most beautiful figured maple.

JSH likes this.
  18. JSH

JSH New Member

And Syrup...Don't forget maple Syrup...

[​IMG]

poro78 and Renkenstein like this.
  19. Renkenstein

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Fkn love that guy's goofy face!

JSH likes this.
  20. Renkenstein

Got me a new vise today!!! Sooooo awesome! I honestly can't thank this dude enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JSH and poro78 like this.