removing cigarette stentch

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by Jeffrey, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Member

The following request is made with due respect toward smokers.

I am greatly sensitive to residual cigarette chemicals. As my recently acquired CS 257 (bowl-type) Ovation has a great amount of cigarette stench, I would appreciate any feedback on removing cigarette chemicals since this greatly causes my eyes to water when playing.

The case was severely ingrained with brown tar, so I purchased a new one. The guitar is in fine condition in terms of no signs of staining, just residual stench.

I thought to ask the luthier community before using the Dunlop polish and wax kit I purchased that is said to remove cigarette smoke; I also have Dunlop's lemon fret-board lemon oil. I have never done a thorough cleaning of an instrument, much less an electric/acoustic, so I would appreciate any general advice cleaning as well as removing cigarette stench. (I have not placed the instrument in the new case so that the cigarette chemicals are not transferred.)

As a note, I read from an Ovation manual that guitar polish can be used on the bowl; however, I presume it wise to not use it internally since there are electronics though I might be able to do a careful inside cleaning, too.

Thank for review and sharing of experience in removing cigarette stench--Jeffrey.

2. Michael_P

Michael_P Member

do some research into ionizers...ozone generators...whatever

3. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

Have you tried letting it air out in good ol' sunshine?

4. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Member

With GuitarBuilder's kindly suggestion warmly welcomed, a concerning factor could possibly be picking moderate days of humidity and temperature. In my area, we'll be back down into mid-to-high 70's F temp and days of midrange humidity in about a month and a half, in September. Any thoughts from other community members on airing out a guitar and heat and humidity factors? (The instrument is in such nice condition, I'd hate to cause any cracking or warping issues, even potential problems with original glue; the instrument is over 15-20 years old.)

I was thinking that GuitarBuilder's suggestion might be helpful both before and after cleaning . . . for a few hours over several days if none of the above issues would be of concern, other than keeping it the shade rather than direct sunlight.

Thanks GuildBuilder for furthering the discussion and thoughtfulness in commenting.

Community feedback on this approach is appreciated--Jeff.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Member

Any general guitar cleaning process YouTube links are welcomed since I am inexperienced in cleaning/waxing a guitar and would not know what constitutes a proper procedure. Thanks, Jeff.

6. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

How about doing a thorough wipe-down with Naphta first? It should not do any harm to the finish or the bowl.

fumblefinger likes this.
  7. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Member

Good advice. It'll remove any surface residue without harming the finish. Don't make a light pass, work it and clean it off, then do it again. Repeat until the cloth is not picking up any color. Then finish with something like Meguiar's Show Car Glaze to polish it up. The only suggestion for the inside is placing it where a fan can blow through it and try to air it out. And don't neglect the neck. Give it a sniff and if it reeks too, then a razor blade scrape may be in order.

8. jjudas

jjudas New Member

I cleaned an electric guitar that was heavily covered in smoker's gunk with a cloth and Dawn soap and water.