Re Routing A Truss Rod Channe

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by lucifer, Jul 7, 2018.

1. lucifer

lucifer New Member

Hi there what's the best way to mill a truss rod channel for a hot rod two-way double action truss rod on AN ALREADY BUILT GUITAR
    in fact a neck through guitar
    is there a fixture for that?

i am filling the existing truss rod channel right now with a block of wood; i am going to press fit it into the old pocket then i wanna re-rout a pocket for the hot rod truss rod but not sure how to make a fixture so i'll be on a straight line the whole time
    does anybody have an idea?

2. Michael_P

Michael_P Member

1: I hope you plan on gluing that strip of wood in
    2: the Hot Rod truss rod has some issues with thinner necks...e.g. there are better alternatives that have a lower profile and have the 2 way adjustment

best I can think of for a "fixture" is a template and to use a collar on your router (as opposed to trying to use a pattern bit (top bearing flush cut) which might be problematic in regards to diameter of the cutter)...I would make said template out of at least 3/8" plywood and make sure there is enough material left to the sides of the slot to prevent any bowing out from pressure when using the router and pushing against it.

3. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

A very challenging project! You'd need a fixture to hold the guitar such that the channel is parallel to your workbench surface. The you'd need another fixture to guide the router at the correct angle.

4. lucifer

lucifer New Member

i did use glue( titebond original). and i made this template out of AL just as a back up to help me stay straight
    [​IMG]

it's a jackson KV2 btw so you're right a really thin neck
    but what's wrong with hot rod truss rods??

5. lucifer

lucifer New Member

or would it be better to do this on a router TABLE with the bit cutting from bottom?
    not that i have the router table i'd have to pay someone to do it for me

6. surveyor

surveyor New Member

Do the arithmetic first. Measure the thickness at the 1st fret from the bottom of the existing channel to the bottom of the neck. Figure what it will be when you re-channel the slot and if you don't have at least 1/8", don't do it. You don't need to ask why I know...