Question From Player, For Builders

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Robert Burleson, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Robert Burleson

Robert Burleson New Member

I am a player, not a builder – still I am amazed by all the cool stuff you guys make. Wanted opinions-- if there are any --on this:

Although unusual, I often need a 6/4 doubleneck… switching back and forth between guitar and bass necks. Although there are lots of 6/12s, there not many 6/4s. I had one made from a Korean Epiphone 6/12 and EB-0 bass, seen here. Put the bass neck and electronics on the bottom and all tweaked up it’s pretty good! Of course, it is heavy as hell, but I knew that going in. Pix here.

Still I would like a set neck, USA Gibson version of this. Of course Gibson made about 40 of these (EBS-1250) in the 60s and they’re all hi-$$ collector things even when they are seen. The idea was to make one out of a recent SG and SG bass. The cheap finish ones are all over for $500/$600 and it would have to be refinished anyway. Apart from the whole other issue of cutting up US Gibsons – I have gotten plenty of moralizing lectures on that – the question is this:

Different luthiers I know/respect say different things:

· SG depth bodies even with strongest/best glue, connecting pins, cleats, whatever – simply are too thin and will eventually break apart where they are joined.

· Others say no, done the right way it will be as good/solid as one piece of wood.

Of course nothing has been started and it’s just at crazy idea stage. But who says SG- depth bodies could be joined -- and who says no, kill this demented idea before it goes any further. DCP_3034.JPG

Thanks,

Bob B

2. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

Of course you can join them; you may need to strengthen the joint with some dowel pins.

3. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

yes! you an absolutely join them. and glue is stronger than the wood itself. just use yellow carpenters glue and a couple of dowels..

4. jayjackson

jayjackson New Member

That is a Interesting Idea take 2 SG DYO kits and make a double Neck. I wonder what other styles can be done this way? Telicaster

5. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

pretty much anything.
    depending of course, on the body design and how much material you might require to make sure that both necks are reasonably accessible.
    i would recommend staying with bolt necks styles , unless your pretty luthiery savvy