Proportional String Spacing Ruler

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sluggo, May 23, 2017.

1. Sluggo

Sluggo New Member

Hi all,

Could someone please measure (and share) as accurately as possible
    the distance between the very first (long slot) and very last (long slot) on each side (83 and 59 slots) of Kevin Ryan's proportional string spacing rule as sold by StewMac or Amplified Parts ?

[​IMG]

Obviously the measurement would be aiming for either center to center of the slots OR same edge of the 2 slots. 1 mm (plus eyeballing for half a mm) or the equivalent in inches is sufficient measurement resolution.

These 2 values should be adequate enough so they can be rounded to the nearest mathematically possible value and subsequently answer any remaining questions regarding this common tool exactly (like how much slots overlap on each side or build a lookup-table to associate slot-number to corresponding values for use in calculators and sims, etc.).

Thank you very much in advance!!

2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Why not just buy one?

3. Sluggo

Sluggo New Member

I'm just a poor programmer who shares apps+source for free. Buying the rule + shipping + customs, just to measure these 2 values in order to provide software-support for that (often used) ruler and then hoping to sell the ruler in order to refund all these costs is simply unrealistic. :confused:

Edit (a bit more time now to explain):

I'd be happy to rephrase my question to a product-specifications inquiry:
    What is the smallest string-span (think E to E and 6 strings) and what is the largest string-span that the tool will accommodate ?
    and
    How many slots overlap on each side of the ruler (assuming some slots must overlap as otherwise there would be a non-usable range between the min and max range)..

All perfectly valid questions (in my honest opinion, since it is no trade-secret as to what the tool exactly does: make the spacing between each slot 0.001 inch larger than the previous spacing, such that you have 0.004 inch increase between each string-center when skipping 1 slot, as stated on stew mac product page and frets.com (using 1mm and no jump for metric)) and each of them can be answered with a precise answer. Very similar to asking which drill-bit sizes a drill-head accepts when you think about it. :hmm:
    However, answering these (and similar) questions requires more work and is more error-prone than answering my original question... :cool:

Thank you very much in advance! :cheers:

Last edited: May 24, 2017