Private Tour

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by otterhound, Feb 10, 2015.

1. otterhound

otterhound New Member

As a part of the Mid-Atlantic Luthiers , I will be in Stevensville , Md on Thursday morning form a private tour at PRS .
    Hopefully , it will be interesting .

Knarbens likes this.
  2. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

Lucky! Take some pictures.

3. otterhound

otterhound New Member

PRS is now giving regular tours .
    There was a mixup , but I was able to take a tour with two other people .
    They asked that no pictures be taken once inside .

4. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

No pictures?!?! What kind of crap is that! :scratch:
    I guess you'll have to put a hidden GoPro in your ball cap or something:hmm:

Seriously, you should ask them why. Can't be any worse than watching the tours of the Heritage factory on YouTube. That place looks terrible, filthy un-organized. So much extra junk around it looks like a safety hazard...just my opinion...

Now I'm curious if they are trying to keep some special procedure under wraps. Like installing frets correctly or something...or doing amazing finish work...

5. otterhound

otterhound New Member

Proprietary things was the basis .
    I found it interesting at how the production floor was truly a pair of parallel lines for the most part .
    Finishing area not so .
    The acoustic area upstairs was 1 guy with a few bending machines , vacuum presses , work bench .
    Not much to speak of .
    In all fairness , electrics are their bread and butter and they did start the acoustic thing at almost the exact time of the economic crap in 2008 . Just ill timing . I had heard some time ago that they simply weren't even building acoustics in Stevensville because of the timing .
    They do need to put more effort into it in order to have any chance of gaining any marketshare . It is risky to legitimately make a run at the acoustic market when they are as strong in the electric world . Most companies aren't capable of doing both well at the same time . I understand their reluctance to dive in with anything other than the imported line at this time .
    I would not call the place filthy by any means . Their wood production area is not as spotless as what you will see at Martin , but the finishing area , electronics and after finishing assembly/setup areas are quite clean .
    This is still a somewhat small company after all .

tone57 likes this.
  6. otterhound

otterhound New Member

Was at Blues Creek Guitars today and John told me that they had 5 of his bending machines there .
    They sure did look familiar .