Plunge Router Recommendations

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by cloudy, Jan 13, 2016.

1. cloudy

cloudy New Member

Hey guys!

I've been attending luthier school for the last year or so. My teacher, Meredith Coloma, has let me use her old 12a mastercraft plunge router up until this point but I'd like to buy my own. I've heard mastercrafts quality has fallen off in the last few years and a number of people have told me not to buy the newer 12a routers.

What plunge routers do you guys prefer to use? I have about a 400-500$ (canadian) budget.

2. Jim_E

Jim_E Active Member

Buy Porter Cable, Mastercrapt has been junk since the late 1970's.

I'm in Toronto, PM if you need a handing finding something good.

3. B. Howard

B. Howard New Member

I love my Bosch.

4. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSPK-4-Horsepower-Variable-Collets/dp/B00005RHPD/ref=sr_1_1?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1452794203&sr=1-1&keywords=bosch+router[/ame]

This is the router I use and I love it.

5. cloudy

cloudy New Member

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I'm heading into home depot and canadian tire tomorrow to look at a few different routers. Ill be sure to take a look at the bosch and porter cable models they have.

6. Jim_E

Jim_E Active Member

That Bosch is also excellent and probably even better than the PC, the Porter Cable routers are at Lowes, but I had trouble finding one at the Despot so you should check on line before going.

cloudy likes this.
  7. SimonB15

SimonB15 Active Member

8. cloudy

cloudy New Member

Thankfully, in Vancouver, the home depot, canadian tire, lordco, and lowes are all very very close to each other. :D

9. CatonGuitars

CatonGuitars Member

Bosch routers are hard to beat and if you have the cash they are the way to go. However if you want to save a few bucks, the red craftsman routers with the wood handles where from what I understand, made by Bosch for craftsman. I have 2 of them that I purchased used for half the price of the Bosch. I use the motors for my copy carver and my router table. They are both 2hp, soft start and, variable speed. Mine have been work horses for over 2 years now and still going strong. I recently purchased a new Craftsman router (2hp, soft start, variable speed with fixed & plunge base) that looks similar, but when I got it I found out was made in China. But so far I can say its actually pretty awesome, considering I purchased it on Clearance from Sears for $110 and these new Craftsman routers consistently gets 5 star reviews. They have the 1 3/4hp on clearance for $79 right now too.

I must say that I very much do not like Craftsman tools but hey when the price is right, the tool works well and shows a decent level of quality.....how can I complain.

This is the one made by Bosch, that Im talking about. Good luck finding one though. I see them on Ebay from time to time, but People who have these keep them.

2028729_02_craftsman_professional_portabl_640.jpg

10. CatonGuitars

CatonGuitars Member

Full disclosure...The pic I posted was one i found online. Easier than me going to take a pic of mine, transferring it to you computer and uploading it.