Please help me save this Martin D-28

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by frankencat, Feb 27, 2016.

1. frankencat

frankencat New Member

Hi all. this is my first post here but you may know me from TGP, MLP and other forums. Anyway, I am hoping someone may be able to help me out of a jam....

...Long story short. I accidentally glued a block of scrap wood to the underside of the bridge plate while re-gluing a bridge on a Martin D-28. It's been clamped up since yesterday and that sucker is ON THERE! I used Titebond to glue it up. I would appreciate any advice or tips on how to separate the unwanted scrap piece from the inside of the guitar without destroying the bridge plate or the braces.
    Thanks -Frank

2. pshupe

pshupe Member

Titebond original? Heat and/ or steam will break the bond with Titebond original. Titebond 2 or 3 would be much more difficult.

Regards Peter.

3. frankencat

frankencat New Member

Yes Titebond original. How about a heated putty knife? I think I may try and see where that gets me.

4. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

Heated putty knife might work.

I removed a fingerboard (glued with original Titebond) with steaming iron and putty knives.
    Gave some heat, tucked a putty knife between the neck and fingerboard and went little by little with as little force as possible.

[​IMG]

5. ericschaeferguitars

ericschaeferguitars Member

I second the heated putty knife. Just go slow and it will come off clean

6. otterhound

otterhound New Member

Titebond releases at around 160 degrees .
    Next time try either keeping things clean or placing waxed paper between pieces that are not to be glued .
    Not sure of the exact scenario , but if you had glue squeeze through the bridge pin holes , you may be able to get away with drilling through the block and using your reamer to weaken this enough to have it simply break away or even fall off .

7. frankencat

frankencat New Member

Long version....Normally I would use painter's tape on the underside so the glue does not get to the inside. This time around I forgot to do that. After I had my jig setup and while clamping the bridge moved slightly so I removed my clamp setup, adjusted the bridge and cleaned up some of the excess glue with a damp paper towel. Second time through I forgot again about the tape even though I had just cleaned up some glue that had gotten through the bridge pin holes - DOH!!!!! Clamped it up, hung it up to dry for a couple of days while I worked on other guitars. Double doh!!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give it a try tomorrow when I am back in the shop. :)
    -Frank

8. frankencat

frankencat New Member

I ended up using a hot damp rag and eventually it popped off. Thanks all.

9. CatonGuitars

CatonGuitars Member

I give all of my clamping cawls a rub down with paste wax before any glue up. I've had wax paper and masking tape get glued down too many times. I also put a thin coat over any place I dont want squeeze out to stick. When I do bridge reglues I just put a thin layer over the top around the bridge and on the bridge plate, then after clamping I dont even try to clean up the squeeze out. I just let it dry and peel it off later with my fingernail. Take about 2 seconds to clean up and Sooo much easier. I dont have to worry about scratching a top when cleaning up glue. Give it a try. I use trewax clear paste wax.

10. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Member

When I do a decapitation fix, I trim down a q-tip and use it to smear Meguiar's paste wax on the truss rod and on any surface that I don't want to be stuck.

11. CatonGuitars

CatonGuitars Member

Yep me too! Anywhere its hard to clean up squeeze out, any places I dont want glue to stick or when I don't want something glued to another, I grab the paste wax. Years ago a luthier showed me how to do the Teeter Method for fret work and he used paste wax on the fingerboard to allow the glue squeeze out to setup on the fingerboard. Afterward he just pulled it off with his fingernails. Ever since then I've been incorporating paste wax into my methods.