Pickup Test Mule Guitar Design

Discussion in 'Plans, Designs & Software' started by tommyd73069, Oct 16, 2013.

1. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 New Member

I'd like some ideas on a guitar that is easy to swap pickups in. I'm having fun with my winder I built, but, it's a PIA to swap out the pickups for testing and play.

What are some designs that might make a good test mule guitar?

Can they be loaded from the back? What would be handy is a way to do it without removing the strings. Testing all of them in the same guitar would be good for evaluating the differences.

Ideas?

2. Leo

Leo Member

3. Blue Belly Guitars

Blue Belly Guitars New Member

4. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 New Member

Not what I meant. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron. Plus, I want this to test the pickups that I'm winding on my own winder.

[​IMG]

What I want to avoid is taking the guitar apart. On my tele with 22 frets, the neck has to come off to get the pickguard off. Regardless of whether it's mounted to the floor of the cavity or to the pickguard. On my strats, the strings have to be loosen to the point that the strings pop out of the vintage tuners, sometimes.

What would be great is something I didn't even have to loosen the strings to swap. Over at TDPRI, 62 Jazzmaster offered this as an idea. As ugly as it is, it has some of the elements I'm wanting.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I'm thinking I could use one of these $50 bodies from Guitarfetish, and one of their necks for about the same dough. $100 test mule sounds pretty appealing. I'd want it to hold more than just a standard tele bridge pup. Maybe make a back cover to close out the back.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The wheels are turning. Keep it coming.

5. MojoMonster

MojoMonster New Member

I don't recall where I saw this or even the name, but someone has a contraption worked out that mounts the test pickup *over* the strings.
    I recall a piece of plastic or lexan that fitted against the existing pickups and some posts attached to another piece of plastic with the test pickups attached upside down.
    I'll see if I can find it.

edit:
    Found it.

[​IMG]

jcsimons and tommyd73069 like this.
  6. pullshocks

pullshocks New Member

tommyd73069 likes this.
  7. Leo

Leo Member

The Liberator is simply a volume pot and wiring system that allows you rewire a pickup swap very quickly with its built in solder-less wire clamps.

You can plug in any pickup you like and keep the lead wires in as-new condition. It's an accessory made by Seymour Duncan and of course they would demo it with SD pickups but there's no reason not to use it with any other pickups you wish.

I may be misunderstanding your reply but the "I want to test the pickups that I'm winding on my own winder." statement suggests that you might have misunderstood what the Liberator does.

I bought one for pickup swapping tests and I think it's ideal. If it doesn't interest you I can respect that. Perhaps some other forum members may find it interesting.

I'm looking forward to see what you come up with. I think it's a great concept! Nothing like trying different pickups out in person through your own gear.:yesway:

8. Leo

Leo Member

9. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 New Member

You're right. I misunderstood where you were headed. I agree. A terminal setup like this would be handy as part of the design.

10. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

I already have a design for this, and I'm hoping to get it made in China as a Pickup tester guitar for Retail shops. of course it would be great for small pickup makers as well.

This guitar will allow you to install any pickup and wire it for both humbucker or single coil operation in less than 60 seconds per pickup. and if the pickup is a humbucker it will be automatically switchable to hum or split coil modes.

I can't show any photos of it yet, because I'm in a negotiation with a major pickup manufacturer about it.
    I'm trying to work out a package deal with this guitar and pickups as an "all in one pickup sales kit" for stores.
    also, my design is not yet fully patented.

KnightroExpress, jkes01 and Sully like this.
  11. Jan Folkson

Jan Folkson New Member

Got this beast as partial payment for mixing a record.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Leo likes this.
  12. pullshocks

pullshocks New Member

Amazing. Once you have the pickup in the cartridge, it looks like the A/B swap would be quick.

I have made a couple improvements on mine that speed up the process.

1 glued the pickup springs to the pickguard so they don't go flying

2 mounted a solderless connector block.

But it still takes a few minutes per pickup.

Right now I have a set of Kinmans and a couple standard single coils in there for reference. LOTS of magnetic pull going on. The G is especially dead sounding.

Attached Files: