Pearwood (Comice) for one piece neck?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Musclesturtle, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Musclesturtle

Musclesturtle New Member

Hello! This is my first post on this website! And I have an inquiry! Not too long ago I cut down a beloved Comice pear tree in my yard :(, and I have quite a bit of the wood laying out to dry in my garage as of now. It has a VERY tight grain and a pinky fleshy color to it. I made sure to wax the endgrains because I know this wood is extremely suceptable to splitting during the drying process. My main question is, is if pearwood would be suitable for a one piece neck? Has anyone ever built a guitar or part of a guitar out of this wood? If so, what was your experience with it?

2. NTGuitars

NTGuitars New Member

need to rough cut the wood into pieces that are about 1 1/4" thick, 30" long, and about 2" wide. wax the ends, and stack them with little 1/2" x 1/2" spacer sticks. make sure there is enough there to actually apply pressure to the bottom pieces. leave them for at least a year, or until moisture is around 6% if you happen to have a moisture meter. that's it! good luck.

3. NTGuitars

NTGuitars New Member

sealing wax is another thing. wax works ok, but anchorseal works way better.

4. Musclesturtle

Musclesturtle New Member

So what you're saying is, that as long as the wood is dryer properly, pearwood will work for a good one piece neck? What's the stability like? Workability also?

5. tnt423

tnt423 Member

Pear wood has been used for violin, viola and cello pegs and tailpieces for many years. The pegs need to stay perfectly round and tapered in order to stay sedged but move enough for accurate tuning. So I would try it for a neck, just not on something for sale until I had observed the neck under tension for a few years.

6. Musclesturtle

Musclesturtle New Member

That's good reasoning. I've heard that it's a good ebony substitute as well.

7. DRF

DRF Member

This thread reminds me that I bought some steamed Pearwood boards, I didn't know what it was at the time but it reminded me a little bit of Purpleheart, it was heavy, hard and really cheap cost but it looked like a quality wood, I bought 3 7ft 4/4 planks thinking this could be plain tops or like 50 fretboards:yesway:.

Apparently steamed is the kiln process, I don't even know if it's the same Pear wood as yours but it's really nice, had a purple-ish tint when new and now it's golden brown.

8. O-Tom

O-Tom New Member

I built an LP out of pearwood.
    It had been properly seasoned for more than 10 years before the build.

The body is a one piece pearwood blank with a wenge top.
    The neck is a wenge/pearwood laminate.
    I play that guitar since 2013 and none of them ever had stability issues.

The laminate makes the neck stronger so you may consider to go this way if you really fear about stability.
    I enjoyed this build, as pearwood cuts and carves very smoothly and is easy to finish.
    Well, I enjoyed it until I started to cut and carve wenge :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jkes01, DRF and HEADKNOCKER like this.
  9. Musclesturtle

Musclesturtle New Member

Wow! That really is a beautiful guitar. The laminated neck looks great. I should really go that route.

10. DRF

DRF Member

That Wenge stripe looks classy!, hope you don't mind if I steal that idea in the future, I have a couple pieces lying around.

11. O-Tom

O-Tom New Member

I won't pretend to be the owner of that combination (well, pearwood is not that common in guitar building).
    So copy as much as you want ;)

12. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

Wow! x2
    What a beautiful instrument!