Output Jack recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Electronics & Parts' started by bmac6502, Mar 8, 2016.

1. bmac6502

bmac6502 Member

I'm getting into the home stretch on my first two builds. Yes two. I wound up with enough wood to make two, and so I designed a second guitar, and I am doing every step to that guitar first, so that I already have some practice and some solved problems when I get to the main event. However, so far, I have managed not to screw up the practice guitar beyond repair, so maybe I get two new beauties.

Anyway, I have most of the electronics figured out already, however, I am wondering about the output jack.

I have several spare 1/4" output jacks of the generic, open backed variety. The guitars I am building are pretty thin bodies. I hate front facing jacks, so I want them on the edge. The side edges are wide enough for rectangular jack plates, but barely, so I'm iffy about going that route. I could go with some football plates. However, in mulling this over, last night I got annoyed with my current main axe as it has gone into the whole cutting-out-when-you-bump-the-cord thing.

That jack was only recently replaced, so it shouldn't be doing this already, which got me thinking about maybe just getting something different for the two new guitars, like some flush mount barrel jacks. So I'm wondering if the vastly experienced group here has preferences/experiences to share about pros/cons of different jack/plate choices. Anybody have opinions on some being more reliable, etc. than others?

2. aeleus

aeleus Active Member

I've used Electrosocket jack mounts on a couple of builds and really like them. They are low-profile and very simple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another option is to put the strat-style surface-mounted jack on the back of the guitar.

[​IMG]

3. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Just buy some Switchcraft jacks - good quality, and mount them on the plate you want.

4. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Electrosockets rule. Switchcraft is one of the only brands to consider, unless you want to go with a Neutrik jack.

5. bmac6502

bmac6502 Member

Wow. A fender face mounted jack on the back. Never thought of that. very cool idea! anyway, I ended up going with some switchcraft flush mount barrel jacks.