old time newbe needs help on never b4 seen problem

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by staffer109, Oct 23, 2013.

1. staffer109

staffer109 New Member

Hi folks the name is Jimmy and I have a slight problem with a replacement sent guitar from GFS Xavier line. THe XV650..being the second guitar sent I was almost set for anything..and that is what I got,,,anything but right...I can get by most problems to keep all my instruments in fine order but this I have never seen....the TOP of the fretboard at the peg head was actually cut crooked and the nut was put in place crooked as well..crooked = from the nut to the middles of first fret on the low E is 1.5 mm shorter in distance than from nut to fret on high E 1st string..how do I approach this fix I gotta eat in order to keep what other words is a fair guitar for the price??? Cant post pic yet but you can see it plain as day the slope running down from high to low strings???:hmm: And this came with a nut that looks like it should be on an acoustic, so I bought a humungus bone blank to may make a off set nut? I do mean off set...Thanks in advance for ANY TYPE OF HELP:yesway:

2. ghostwolf

ghostwolf New Member

Wouldn't it be easier to return the guitar for one that's right, or get a refund?
    GFS is good for pickups and stuff, but anything made out of wood is a straight up crapshoot.

3. staffer109

staffer109 New Member

They said they would refund me the guitar though not send another,,so I really like the rest and gonna make it my first real fix.....

4. skeels

skeels New Member

If it's just the nut, you should be able to cut the fb end. If the frets are off, it may be more of an issue.

Need pics!

5. aeleus

aeleus Active Member

What's important is that the nut be in the proper position according to the scale length. Then either fill the gap between the nut and fretboard or trim the fretboard so the nuts sits properly (or both if required).

6. emoney

emoney New Member

Maybe I'm hearing it wrong, but it sounds like your scale length is different on the low E than it is the high E?

7. staffer109

staffer109 New Member

emony, you got it on the scale length. I feel my only real option is to align the nut in proper position and fill the fret board back to the nut...BUT with what? Maybe a rosewood wedge like fill? Im sure it needs to be solid for the nut to snug up too it and be a solid fit..I'm afraid if I cut 1.5mm more of the fret board to make the crooked factory cut to even it out for fear the scale will be off. Making anything fretted sharp??
    '

8. Jim_E

Jim_E Active Member

Make a rabbeted nut, in other words one that will fill the nut slot below the surface of the fret board but with its face in the correct position above the fret board - for all the bullshit they better refund you and let you keep that guitar.

9. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

You know what? I am really sick and tired of vendors selling crap and then not standing behind what they sell. Why in hell would you want to keep or even try to repair this guitar? Get the refund, tell them to put it where the sun don't shine, get on Ebay and buy a decent used guitar for the same or maybe even less $$$. You should have to go through this kind of grief on a brand new purchase. And, consider this, if you screw up the fix you are stuck with a useless piece of firewood. Send it back! Send it back! Send it Back.

10. Ronsonic

Ronsonic New Member

I'm going to ignore the questions of warranty and blah, blah.... Just keep it technical:

The first question is which if either end of that nut is correct. Very gently fret at the first fret and tune to that F. Then play the open Es and see which if either is in tune. From there you'll be trimming the end of the FB square and then adjusting the length. If you're really lucky and the guitar gods love you, the short side will be correct and all you need to do is re-cut to that length.

11. aeleus

aeleus Active Member

I'd double check that against a measurement of where the nut *should* be. Once you establish the scale length, you can measure from 1st fret to nut and compare that.

For example, on a 25.5" scale length, it should be 1.431" inches from the nut to the middle of the 1st fret.