Nitrocellulose Damage

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by nibs, Jan 31, 2018.

1. nibs

nibs New Member

Hi - so recently I checked on one of my guitars been sitting in hardcase for a few months - took her out and noticed the nitrocellulose finish on an area of the neck had blistered / melted /reacted with something (see photos) and noticed where the neck was resting on the case compartment tab handle was the area damaged - same place shape etc.

Anyone any ideas?

Could this be a reaction to the tab handle material?

The case was from Flightcase Warehouse - Spider cases

NB. this is a Gibson satin finish also.

And what would be the process involved to repair the finish - and estimated time & cost if possible?

Cheers

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      669.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      672.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      597.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      657.7 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      129.4 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      226.4 KB
      Views:
  2. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

yep, that is a clear case of "plasticzer migration"

All plastics, vinyls and celluoids, will "offgas" for decades.
    these gasses are basically super slow evaporating solvents used in their manufacture. there is not much to do about it but Identify the issue and take it up with the manufacturer of the case.

Your photos are enough to "force" the manufacturer of the case, to pay to refin your guitar.. IMHO.

unless of course they are an Overseas based company with no "local" distributorship. (read that as, no name brand "asian" maker whose products are mostly found online only)

in that case ... best of luck to ya.

3. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

Easy fix for any knowledgeable luthier. No need to refinish the guitar. The beauty of Nitro is that you can apply it over this area and it will blend right in.

4. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

Well, it's somewhat an easy repair. More time consuming than anything. GuitarBuilder is right, the Nitro will melt back into the existing finish but you're probably looking at a minimum of 4-6 weeks of cure time before you can put it back in a case. In my shop I would prep the area by spraying some retarder on it, drop fill the area and level. The color looks un-effected which is a big help. Once it's level a coat of satin/flat Nitro and then wait. I would charge $120-$160 for this job. But yes, Bruce is right, this should be on the case manufacturer they should be held accountable if possible.

ronnieriffer likes this.
  5. ronnieriffer

ronnieriffer New Member

I also agree, not a super huge deal to repair . . . nitro melts into nitro, color is intact, I personally would not take the retarder route as mentioned, that would add time to the cure period. . .a nice old school nitro with minimal plasticizer would be my choice . . three weeks buck fifty, out the door have a nice day!