New Here, And Need Help With Headstock Screenprinting

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Randy Constan, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Randy Constan

Randy Constan New Member

Hello all. Years ago I embarked on a project to build high quality amplifiers into tiny travel guitars. These are the little "Applecreek" AGC-10 guitars manufactured by Trophy Music, now taken over by Grover. These required a ton of work just to make them play well, even before I got to the amplifier part. And as you can imagine, building an amplifier right into a small guitar and having the end result sound good, without acoustic feedback, was no simple task. Won't bore everyone with all the details, but you can read a little about it at this link.

http://elfintechnologies.com/PXAxe.html

But anyway, I prevailed and am very pleased with the sound and play-ability. But as you all well know, the cosmetics were just as much work and trouble if not more than the technology. The final part of that cosmetic phase is to put my own logos on the headstock. The accomplish that economically (always a concern) I intend to buy thin (1/16") wood panels, screen print my own logos, rough trim to fit the headstock, mount them, and then use a router to cleanly trim. But so far, I've not found anyone local who can screen print onto wood for me.

I'm in Tampa, Florida in the USA. Can anyone suggest either a business that could do this screen printing for me on the wood panels, or if its possible to do the screen printing at home with some kind of kit? Open to suggestions here.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  2. Levi

Levi New Member

Hey Randy, have you had any luck with this? I've been head printer at a screenprinting shop for the past 4 years so I can definitely help you out with some questions.

I take my guitars to the shop after hours and use the large screens that we have there, but I have considered making a smaller set up like in the Gibson video below to make things easier. I definitely will make my own when I'm no longer printing shirts by day! You want to use a solvent based ink that air drys (most durable and strong) or a water based ink that air drys. I've attached a link below to a basic screenprinting kit that could get you started, it comes with a water based ink.

Recently printed this "Matsui Metallic Binder" ink on a Ziricote electronics plate, turned out great!
    [​IMG]

http://www.screenprinting.com/diy-print-shop-t-shirt-kit

Printing on metal is basically the same as printing on wood with filled pores:

P.S. You're going to want to do the screenprint after final sanding as the last thing before finish goes on. Trying to keep that print perfect while flush trimming the headstock and such would be tough if even possible. And I think you will have a hard time finding a print shop willing to take on such a high risk for a single print. If you do it yourself you can practice up and simply sand it off/re-do if you're not happy with the final print.

Last edited: May 13, 2017