New Guy Neck Questions

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Blake Hatton, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Blake Hatton

Blake Hatton New Member

Hello all,

This is my first post here. I've been working on building my first guitar over the past couple months (a Les Paul with a cherry top), but have run into issue after issue with the neck. After deciding to redo the neck because the nut came out too narrow for my taste, I started on the new scarf joint today, and after gluing and sanding, I realized that the join was rather far forward- on the back of the headstock at the bottom, the beginning of the join is approximately an inch past where the nut is- I haven't measured exactly yet, but I will when I get a chance. I have a feeling this will only increase when the neck will be taken to its final thickness. However, on my Epiphone sg, the join is not quite that far forward. So my question is this: how do I stop my scarf joint from joining so far up the headstock? Or is it a problem? I realize that this is a little vague without pictures and I will post them as soon as I can.

Thank you for any help.

2. surveyor

surveyor New Member

Without seeing what you are talking about, the only thing I could tell you is to get you some "expendable" stock the same thickness as your good stuff for the neck and start making "fake" necks. When you get it right to your thinking, measure everything carefully and reproduce it using the good stuff. The same goes for cutting dovetails and other parts also.