New Guy Aspiring To Build Archtop

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Spadille, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Spadille

Spadille New Member

Hello all. I have cut, routed, wired and assembled electric guitars, restored and repaired acoustics, done fretwork, installed and cut nuts and so on. Most recently got ahold of an early 60’s Harmony I am doing a fret job and neck straightening on.

I decided I wanted to build an Archtop and started with YouTube videos and got the Robert Benedetto book. I am sure I can do it, but would like to hear some first time experiences with the archtops or full on builds; any advice or anything is welcome!

2. Marshall DeWitt

Marshall DeWitt New Member

Well, IMHO you are off to a really good start with Benedetto's book. He had a set of VCR tapes that may exist as CD's now if you can find those I would propose buying them. I have the VCR tapes. The sounds and visual aspects provide great references for your build. I would propose starting with Home Depot lumber to carve your initial top and if that turns out well go for it, if not go back to step one and repeat. The carving via drilling holes and using a pin router to form the bottom is a good approach.

If you run into questions post here and we can talk more. I hope this helps.

Spadille likes this.
  3. Spadille

Spadille New Member

I did find a 10 inch x 10 foot x 1-3/4 inch thick piece of American plain maple that I can use for both plates, laminated neck and also have them cut down and plane it for me too. Best part.... about $120 for all that and have the rest of my budget open for body mold,
    Neck template, tail and neck blocks and of course... tools I don’t have as of now.

4. Marshall DeWitt

Marshall DeWitt New Member

When you start looking for tools I would propose using hand tools as much as possible. Yes it will take longer and it is more work; however, you will have more time to think and in reality, luthiery is such an old art that many of the archtops built were done partially or completely with hand tools. It is also a cheaper way to start and you will find that many of the "needed tools" are not needed. My first guitar was all hand tools and I respected the work much more because of it.

P.S. Stevie Ray Vaughn, you also have the right image for youself, he is the man. Buddy Guy would be a good one also.

Spadille likes this.