new bass build, some things I've been working on, and neck dive questions

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by mistermikev, Aug 21, 2015.

1. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

hello,

first up: rockaudio. I purchased a spalted maple jazz body and just thought I'd give it a review.
    $85 shipped. neck pocket is 2 and 9/16 which is acceptable but won't fit my mighty mite 2 7/16 light. top is amazing so I think I'll buy an ebony warmoth? birdseye?
    pickups fit beautifully (seymour 1/4 lb). 3 piece mahog body. this was supposed to be a 'factory 2nd' but the pics speak for themselves. highly recommended.
    think i might try dying it orange, sanding, dying amber, then true oil? the flame is light and I'd like to bring it out but black dye might be too much. suggestions?
    [​IMG]

craigslist find: 92' fugijen sr 890. dropped the stock actives. dimarzio model p and ultra jazz. wired up a 5 way rotary giving some interesting split combos, bartolini ntbt, pre bypass push/pull. sounds great but too much highs with 5ook pot and no tone control when bypassed. will wiring in a resistor/cap to tame.
    [​IMG]

next up: wired up some fralins for my paul. highly don't recommend cts pots. at least not the ones i bought. $8 ea and massive fail as the shafts broke apart from base putting knobs back on. fixed em but... I usually use dimarzio or bourns - even alpha would be better.
    [​IMG]

lasstly... neck dive on an sg. I put on a roller bridge to add a little weight. Considering buying ebony tuning machine knobs to loose some weight? (grovers). considering magnets or washers in control cavity to balance it out but I hate to make it heavy.
    all thoughts and suggestions welcome.

recommended lighter tuning machine replacements?
    anywho, would love your thoughts!

2. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Active Member

hey Mister Mike..

Did you get the Hamer Steve Stevens back into shape?? Headstock repair?

Nice spalted J Bass body for $85, there's so many different necks the sky is the limit on those.. I googled the finish to give you some eye candy..
    Google-Search-Spalted-Maple-Tru-Oil-Images

I have a Ibanez Soundgear SR300 that I bought for $100 OTD that's a great bass for the $$.. Pawn Shop Buy.. Not as nice as yours but a great bass with a 5 piece neck & great active pickups.. Killer tones
    Also my neck-thru 87 Charvel 3B bass, peddlers mall $125
    Flat wounds on both my basses..
    [​IMG]

On the SG is the strap button on the back of body/neck placement?
    Putting the button on the horn will give you more leverage, Think Toni Iommi..:metal:
    [​IMG]
    On the tuning machines there are so many, Schaller, Grover, Gotoh, Hipshot etc. Good luck with the neck dive problem..

I must be the only one who post on this forum everyday??
    Maybe I need to get a life or start working on some projects when I heal up a bit better..
    I've got two guitars apart in pieces, project & repair that I need to spend a few days on..

3. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

glad to hear from you headknocker.
    i literally applied my waterslide logo for the hamer this am. Will get my microsol today and start glossing it and post pics soon.

I could stare at those spalted pics for days. so many guitars so little time. really looking for the 'ultimate' method to bring out a flame. have done the dye black and sand and then dye primary color and that works good... but I hear that tru oil stuff is legendary.

soundgear... i got this one for $200. buffed the finish to bring it back and it's not my first color choice but looks good. had to router out the accu cast another 3/32 and dropped the action... did a fret level and neck adjustment... this thing plays itself. split the top of the ultra j in series with the bottom of the p and really love it. wasn't sure if I'd like it but should have done more positions with the split!

iommi - I've considered moving the strap pin but the sg horns are so delicate and I'd love to balance it out w/o modifying the exterior. bought some ebony grover knob replacements and we'll see what that does.

thanks for the idea though: it may be my last resort.

HEADKNOCKER likes this.
  4. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Hipshot open back tuners with plastic or ebony knobs will be one of the lightest, highest quality tuner you'll find. Sperzels are a bit lighter, but Hipshot is higher quality IMO.

5. Zeegler

Zeegler Active Member

I can't figure out why some SGs neck dive, but others don't. My SG Standard had a bit of a neck dive problem, but my SGJ14 doesn't dive, and it's definitely lighter than my Standard.

6. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

hello,

good call adam. I may go that route, I just hate the idea of replacing perfectly good tuners! Looks like they will fit in grover holes but am not 100% sure.
    In my despair I ordered some ebony knob replacements. I saw a thread where a guy with a supreme made this change and it "did it" for him. I guess I'll see what that does and then contemplate the next move depending. Thanks for the thoughts.

Zeegler: I think there are probably two big reasons. A, those kluson tuners weight less... mine has grovers. B, wood weight can vary.
    add to that: some folks are just looking for reasons to improve their guitars (me) and some might say those folks are just being silly (probably am).
    I grew up playing an sg 90 and it would sit vertical... but I never did anything for years. lost it, got another, now it bothers me after playing mostly strats and teles.
    Theorhetorically (hehe) the overwound/underwound pickups and magnets might make a dif... but I doubt much.
    I think it may also have to do with the player... I play with a 45 degree angle and I think some folks like a 90 - which this guitar almost sits at now that it's got a heavier bridge.

sorry for the book!

7. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

update: got the replacement pegs... very nice but didn't quite do it. They replaced a lot of weight but it's just not enough - leading me to believe I need to add some weight to the body... tuners alone just aren't going to do it.

incidentally, I put a bone nut on this thing and I think it's causing all sorts of tuning issues. sticks and pings. I've got bone on other guitars and have had no such prob. I bought a 'compensated' nut... going back to tusk!

8. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    before and after true oil (2 coats)

9. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

finally got this done...
    did an ernie ball 70s preamp in it and had orig used a vero layout I found online because it was small... turns out there were tons of errors in it. eventually did my own layout and bam. works like a charm.
    anywho, it was a lot of fun. the 6 way rotary yields about as many distinct combos one could expect from 2 single coil pickups. really turned out nice.
    anywho, thanks for looking.
    [​IMG]