Need Advice - Learn Me... Have 3a Flamed Maple, Want 'whitest' Natural Look

Discussion in 'Glues, Fillers & Painting' started by mistermikev, Jan 23, 2018.

1. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

hello guys,
    calling all experts. I've stolen a lot of good knowledge from this place - thank you all for that!

I recently did a jazz bass with true oil then clear and the true oil really brought out the grain but it's quite amber, and while I like it for that project - I don't think it'll be right for this one.

below is a link to a guitar that is in the vein of what I want although I've seen flamed maple look almost white with cream grain... how do they do that? I suppose the piece of wood is a big factor. guessing I need to snag some naptha for pre-clean.

So far from reading I guess dewaxed shellac is the way to go... but what I see at stew mac looks a bit amber. also, I want mine to be high gloss.

link to guitar body that is pretty nice
    https://images.reverb.com/image/upl...90,w_620/v1486563886/yuf9qe3mov1yv517pdwn.jpg

2. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

3. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

You could just go with clear nitrocellulose.

4. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

hehe, had given up on ever getting a response: thank you for restoring my faith in humanity! clear nitro... that is certainly an option thank you for pointing it out. I have a few concerns with it... 1) will the grain get that 3d look I got from tru oil... 2) I need to finish the neck to match and it will have frets on it when I get it... so it's either "tape it off" (not appealing) or fret level after (also not appealing). Not sure how I get past those. If only there was a 'clear tru oil'!

5. Ray Carlton

Ray Carlton New Member

Nitro will yellow over time and any oil base finish will colour the wood immediately. If you want a clear finish that won't yellow you should be investigating waterbased finishes

6. Hal

Hal New Member

7. Hal

Hal New Member

Hold the phone, Mr. Mike! I think I have your answer for getting the least yellow in your finish! It's a product put out by (or called?) "Varithane". It's a water-based product that is the most non-yellow finish that I have ever used. Let me know if you can't locate any and I'll help. All the best-

Hal

8. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

hey, sorry for the necro response (that's a thing... all the kids are saying it). I actually found a guy who had nice results using odies oil as well, but will keep this in mind too. Haven't seen my neck so I might go blue at which point the clear becomes less important. Thank you very much for the tip! I do see a spot I can order some so... thanks!

9. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

also, thanks for the heads up ray! thank you all!