Neck Attachment Question

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Timm Gleason, Feb 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Timm Gleason

Timm Gleason New Member

First time builder with a hopefully not already answered question.

Set up: Building a bass guitar from a kit, poplar body, maple neck.

I have done a lot of work with plastic in the past and whenever I have to attach pieces together, I prefer to use machine screws and threaded inserts over wood screw threads directly into the material.
    That being said, does there seem to be a down side to putting threaded inserts into the heel of the neck and using machine screws over wood screws to connect to the body?

Regards,
    Timm

2. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

No down side - it allows for much stronger attachment and easier multiple replacements.

3. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

I've done both, a number of times, and I have never felt as though it made much if a difference either way.

If it makes you feel better, go for it.

4. Cagey

Cagey New Member

I've been installing threaded inserts in necks almost exclusively now for about 10 years, and have found no downside. Depending on the guitar/neck combination, sometimes there's a subtle difference in sustain/articulation, but generally speaking it's not something you'd notice without a fairly short period between wood screw attachment and machine screw/insert attachment so your A/B comparison would be fresh in your mind.

What it's more useful for is the ability to remove/install the neck repeatedly without deteriorating the mounting holes. Many of my customers are "partscaster"-type folks who like to experiment with mixing/matching parts or doing pickup upgrades, etc. so having a joint that maintains its strength is important.