Neck Angle Question

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Jeff Jones, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Jeff Jones

Jeff Jones New Member

First off Id like to say Hi. Found this site while researching info for building a guitar from plan.
    I recently put together a partscaster (Tele) using quality components as my first build but very soon into it I decided that my next build would be from scratch.
    While going thru the vast array of info available online the question of neck angle popped up.

Why is it that bolt on neck guitars such as strats and teles have no neck angle while Les Paul and PRS type guitars with set necks have the neck angled back?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm sure there will be lots of questions from me in the future once my build starts and progresses

Jeff

2. pshupe

pshupe Member

For the most part, strats and teles bridges are recessed into the body and the neck sits well above the top of the guitar. On an LP the bridges sits on top of the body and the neck is much lower. The angle is added to have the correct string height at the bridge. It's just a completely different design that's all. There are some factors that must be adhered and others that do not matter. The ones that do matter are related to the scale length and the height of the bridge related to string height across the frets.

Regards Peter.