My take on a 59 LP DC Jr-1st Build

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Fret Hopper, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Fret Hopper

Fret Hopper Member

To be honest, it isn't quite finished. I still have to make a TRC, set the bushings a little lower in the body (didn't tap them in deep enough), and do a proper fret dressing, and shave the nut down and set it in place. Just for pics and to get a feel for the nut and bridge, I put a hodge podge of old strings on there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above pics are more true to the actual color than the ones below. No flash from the phone camera used. Using a flash makes it looks "brighter".

...and full frontal nudity

[​IMG]

...and the backside
    [​IMG]

Specs...for those that are interested:
    Body - Alder (3 pc) with a 2 pc 1/2 inch red oak BACK cap.
    Neck - 5 piece lam - maple with oak stringers.
    Indian Rosewood finger board
    Kluson tuners (gift from a friend - Thanks Don!)
    Hipshot Baby Grand Bridge
    Jescar Frets
    5-ply (BWBWB) Hand shaped pick guard
    MojoTone electronics
    Pick up - GFS P90

Now, regarding the finish...please don't laugh.

Duocolor white primer base (over sanding sealer)
    Base Color Coat - Testor's Master Modeler Lacquer - Chrysler Yellow
    Valspar Clear Lacquer top coat
    Oak - no grain filler (gave up on trying) and is stained Black Cherry, with an undercoat of Transtint Honey Amber rubbed into the bare wood, and another coat rubbed over the stain. Then top coated with Valspar Clear Lacquer.

I do have some finish work to do on the back. The clear coat is rough sanded (400 grit) and the control cover is sprayed, but left glossy right now. I need to scuff it with 400 grit. Both will get more wet sanding , but left more of a satin finish. Once it warms up a little I will get to that.

Control Cover is oak from scrap leftover from the back cap. Cut to 1/8th inch thick.

I would appreciate any thoughts, comments (criticism accepted, too-I'm a big boy).

So there it is. The first complete build I have done.

And I have 3 more already started. When I get a "jones", it hits hard.

From the ozone...

Mark

jkes01 likes this.
  2. Fret Hopper

Fret Hopper Member

Couple more pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the ozone...

Mark

3. aeleus

aeleus Active Member

Nice work. Just curious - why the red oak on the back?

4. Fret Hopper

Fret Hopper Member

About the red oak, the piece of Alder that I had was too thin for my taste. It was roughly 1.5 inches thick. I knew I was going to lose some thickness from sanding, so I added the oak to the back, adding 1/2 inch in thickness to the body. The oak was something I had purchased for other reasons and had not used for its intended purposes. With the oak back, the body is just under 1 7/8ths inch thick.

And considering the issues I had trying to grain fill the oak I decided to stain it instead of painting it with a solid color. I have learned a few things about grain filling since then, and most likely wouldn't do a separately stained back to a painted guitar again. It was tough getting a clean line in the base coat paint where the base coat ended, and the stain started.

I picked up a couple cans of Aqua Coat clear grain filler which I will use for grain filling in the future.

From the ozone...

Mark

cloudy likes this.
  5. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

Behlen/Mohawk Pore-O-Pac comes in a couple colors: natural, mahogany and black I think. It's a silica (sand) based filler that has been used for decades on guitars. The natural can take a stain, it's oil based make sure to let it fully cure.
    I don't know about the Aqua Coat other than it's a water based clear filler. I have not used Crystal-Lac but I've heard good things about it for a water based clear filler as well.
    On an electric you could also use a variety of 2 part epoxy grain fillers, that's probably what all the over-sea's manufacturers use. Rock hard, sands as level as glass.

6. Dave Locher

Dave Locher Member

Nice! I really like it.