My Other Build

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Fret Hopper, Jun 29, 2014.

  1. Fret Hopper

    Fret Hopper Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2014
    Messages:
    45
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    High plains of colorado ozone
    I mention on my other thread that I was also building a guitar based on a GFS LP DC Jr. Considering what it cost me for the finished body, though it needed to have the neck pocket reworked for a set neck (it was routed for a bolt on neck), it would be a good learning experience.

    Here are photos of the GFS body:
    [​IMG]
    Her you can see how it was finished in the neck pocket:
    [​IMG]

    I didn't think it would be too much work to chisel out the pocket for a set neck. I used a 3/8ths forstner bit to hog out the back end of the pcket and then chiseled, and chiseled, and chiseled some more.
    [​IMG]
    Till I got the neck I had built to fit the pocket.
    [​IMG]

    more to follow in the next post...
     
  2. Fret Hopper

    Fret Hopper Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2014
    Messages:
    45
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    High plains of colorado ozone
    AS I chiseled away at the pocket, I ran into voids in the wood. By all appearances it appears the body is at least 4 pieces. It made for a great learning experience chiseling wood. The pocket is not as fugly as it looks in the photo below. The wood did chip out to the lower right of the strap hole. I glued it back in with TiteBond and clamped it. And you can see one of the voids clearly at the back of the neck pocket, towards the pickup cavity. It runs downward diagonally from left to right.
    [​IMG]

    Regarding the finished body - the finish is really brittle. Not sure if it is lacquer, but we will see. The body is getting reliced whether I like it or not. Cleaning up the finish after it is done will be another learning experience. I did chip the finish away at the end of the pocket where the heel of the neck will fit. The finish was a little uneven there, and I wanted wood on wood for when I glue the neck up.

    For the money spent, it has been a good learning experience and I will finish the guitar. I just don't know how strong the wood is in the pocket.

    Here is the neck in it's early stages, after glue up of the laminates, cutting the neck blanks, gluing the scarf. I got two necks out of the billet.
    [​IMG]

    And here is the neck after the truss rod slot was cut on my neighbor Paul's table saw (great to have friendly neighbor's with quality power tools), and a little shaping of the headstock area and along the neck. [​IMG]

    Baseball season ended for my son on Saturday, which means I have s crapton more time to work on my builds. I was busy today working on the neck and I will post more tomorrow.

    Just so everyone is clear - I don't have a working router. I have one, given to me for free. Problem is it will not hold any depth setting, which explains why it was free. I think I can use it for something later on, but we will wait and see. So other than the table saw my neighbor let me use, this is all hand tools.

    From the ozone...
     
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  3. Fret Hopper

    Fret Hopper Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2014
    Messages:
    45
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    High plains of colorado ozone
    Additionally, I lengthened the neck pocket from 2 inches to 3.25 inches , and deepened the pocket to 1.375 inches. The body is already drilled for the control cavity, jack socket, , etc. Only things I need to do are the bridge studs and ground wire.

    I am planning on using a Hipshot Baby Grand bridge on this guitar, and will roll my own pick guard. Most likely going with either Grover or Gotoh tuners and a TUSQ nut.

    Till tomorrow.

    From the ozone...
     
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  4. Fret Hopper

    Fret Hopper Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2014
    Messages:
    45
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    High plains of colorado ozone
    On Sunday I carved my first neck. I cut slots along the underside of the neck, then chiseled the sections away, then clamped it down and went at it with my Shinto rasp and a regular wood rasp. I gotta say, I love the Shinto rasp. It works really well, and doesn't require a lot of effort.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The neck is nowhere near finished as it is rough sanded to 80 grit, and needs more shaping around the small volute, sides and heel area, along with rounding over the full length of the neck. It will be fairly thin at the first fret - best estimate is around .875 inches. All the shaping was SWAG, though for the neck on my other build I will draw the facets onto the neck as a guide to shaping.

    The neck will end up something like a PRS wide/thin. I am going to use a 1.75" TUSQ nut. Having fat fingers, I have always wanted a neck that is wider at the nut, with a little wider string spacing, but could never find one. Here's my chance.

    The heel fits very snugly in the reshaped neck pocket, and my neck angle is at 2 degrees - based on my cheap angle gauge. With the fret board clamped on, and using a straight edge, I will have a little over .50" height at the bridge area. Add the frets, a little neck relief and string height, and I should be good with the Baby Grand bridge, with a little bit of adjustment room.

    The fret board is going to be right on the deck where it meets up with the body.

    I am really pleased with the results so far, and hope to get more done this holiday weekend.

    From the ozone...

    Mark
     
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice