My guitar buzzes when I touch metal

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by rikifaja, Jul 12, 2016.

1. rikifaja

rikifaja New Member

Hello guys, I'm new to the forum and I figured this was a nice place to put this question.

So, my guitar has a ver awful buzzing sound when I touch metal (i.e. strings, jack, pickups, bridge). I do know this is a grounding issue, but I have no idea how to solve this :c here you have the link to the images of my internal cable setup. Thank you.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3XGMCqWLf-5YklFY1VSUEN3cUU

2. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Active Member

On a Strat style guitar you should find a ground wire that attaches to the spring claw in the center rear cavity..
    Good Luck & Welcome!!
    Gary/Hk

3. rikifaja

rikifaja New Member

Yep! It's the blue one that comes from the huge amount of cables stacked together, and it's properly soldered, what do I do with it? Do I move it?

4. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Active Member

That wire should be attached to the claw & then again at the pots & ground..
    See them missing sometimes, when someone else has been in the cavity trying to "FIX" stuff..

5. rikifaja

rikifaja New Member

I just rewired it to the claw, reinforced the soldering. Now, I have three pots, should I wire it to each of them? Also my ground is wired to the volume pot, as well as the blue cable that just went to the claw.

6. SimonB15

SimonB15 Active Member

You don't need to solder that particular wire to each of the pots, but each of the pots should have a grounding wire attached. Looks like it does from your photos.

Is your switch supposed to be grounded? I can't see a ground wire, and I'm really not sure if it should be or not, I usually just fumble through with electronics :lol: the shielding tape on the pick guard probably does the job.

Does it do it on every switch position? That might help narrow down the source.

7. TKOjams

TKOjams Well-Known Member

Some pretty bad solder joints there, could be the issue.

8. Aaron V

Aaron V New Member

I had a similar issue a while back on my Gretsch, for me it was really simple, the output jack was wired backwards. I would check that first, really easy fix.