My First Project. Need Help Sourcing Material: Single Ply Pearloid

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by William H West, Feb 28, 2018.

1. William H West

William H West New Member

Greetings,

I'm starting my first ever resto project. It's not an expensive guitar, but I love the old thing. It's a mid-60s Egmund. So, I don't want to spend a fortune on it, but I would like to do a nice job.

My challenge is as follows. Originally, this guitar had a single-ply pearloid material covering the top of the headstock. It matched the pickguard. Unfortunately, someone peeled it off and I would like to replace it. Now, finding 3-ply pearloid is easy, but it's all too thick and rides way too high on tuner posts. I need a single ply.

I've done some internet searches for 1 ply pearloid sheets, but I can't find anything. As I'm a total amateur, I may not be searching for the right thing, but I can't seem to crack the code! Can someone in this forum point me to a source?

Kindest Regards,
    Bill

2. surveyor

surveyor New Member

You might try "Philadelphia Luthier" . they have some 0.075" th. If you need thinner, then belt sander.

3. William H West

William H West New Member

Thank you. I'll look them up!