Mlb

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gamble, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Gamble

Gamble New Member

Any of you out there MLB fans? How's your team doing? Any good rumors floating around?

2. evolved_insanity

evolved_insanity Active Member

I'm a Yankees fan. Going to see Red Sox @ Yankees on Sept 6/7 whatever the Saturday is. My wife got me tix. 15th row from field just on the home plate side of 1st. It will be my first trip to the new Yankee Stadium. Very excited.

Only rumours I have heard were about Garza possibly going to the Jays but the Rangers landed him today. The Jays do need a solid 2nd baseman and have trade bait in Colby Rasmus since they have Anthony Gose in Buffalo.

Look for the Yankees to deal Travis Hafner and I wouldn't count out Boston to go after some starting pitching since Buckholz seems fragile even though he has been told he is fine. Mentally, he isn't fine.

3. SimonB15

SimonB15 Active Member

Big baseball fan, but living in Aus we don't see too much of it, save for MLB.tv. Was stoked to hear we were getting the opening round of next year's season - then heard the ticket prices! Cheapest tickets are over $100, most expensive are $500. I just can't justify spending that much, especially once travel and accommodation etc. are considered.

I don't hear too much as far as rumours go down here other than what's in the online news. I've been following the Angels this year, because I'm a bit of a Josh Hamilton fanboi, but he's been real disappointing so far. Texas have this habit of producing players I really like and then dealing them, or not picking up their contracts...

4. Blue Belly Guitars

Blue Belly Guitars New Member

Not so much anymore. In the 70's & 80's I was. I am going to Cooperstown in a couple weeks, for the second time. I still love the history of the game & have been to a number of games in the last decade. It just isn't the same any longer. Something about the game seems too "untouchable" now. Some stadiums are more for digital advertising than the purity of the game. It just doesn't seem to have the same feeling, mystique, to it. Most big sports are like this now. I, unfortunately, am the guy who waits til' the World Series/Superbowl/Championship Games to watch.

5. Gamble

Gamble New Member

I'm a Giants fan myself. We are definitely not showing our ways of the past time this year. I wonder some if we ever knew what we did to win the Championship last year at all. Might have been just dumb luck :)

We dropped Brian Wilson after his Tommy John surgery, which was a big mistake, dude had a 89% save rating before he got hurt.

Don't get me wrong, Romo stepped up and made his name known last year when Wilson got hurt but it seems like he rides the bench mostly this season.

One guy to keep a big eye on is Craig Kimbrel, the young closer from Atlanta. That kid is in his 3rd year in the majors and is on the fast track to being one of the best closers, period.

6. evolved_insanity

evolved_insanity Active Member

Grilli in Pittsburgh is something special too as a closer. Hanley Ramirez is batting .393 which is the closest to .400 someone has been since probably Garciaparra or Gwynn. We have Davis in Baltimore and Cabrera in Detroit fighting it out for the triple crown which has NEVER happened before. At the plate, Molina of the Cardinals is having an amazing year offensively and the Molina's have always been stellar defensively.

The PED thing has not steered me in the opposite direction at all. Baseball is still pretty damn exciting for me. I personally don't care if they take PED's or not as it is their body but I do think they should be banned from MLB for life if they are caught. Pretty much everyone and their brother have been caught so although this may cause some discussion, I don't believe Barry Bonds ever juiced. The guy hit bombs and stole bases and everything before he started getting bigger. He is probably the best all around player ever to play MLB. (flame suit is on..lol)