matching Neck and Body ??

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by theMIDrange, Apr 14, 2016.

1. theMIDrange

theMIDrange Member

What is your theory regarding which woods to choose when mating a neck?

Do you try and match the two with same boards when possible or do you mix n match ?

I've got two batches o mahogany, both cut 80's. One is a good 50% heavier and more dense than the other. I am getting ready to decide whether to mix n match the two or keep the same boards together to use as neck and body

So a denser heavier mahog body mated with a less dense neck is one choice and the other is to mate two dense pieces together.

any ideas?

similar to mating a maple neck with maghog body I suppose would be near equivalent to mating the two types, is my current theory. But the other side thinks it'd be best to keep the neck and body using same wood.

2. TheCaffeinatedOne

TheCaffeinatedOne New Member

This a solid body electric guitar or an acoustic?

3. pshupe

pshupe Member

If you can it's cool but if you can't it doesn't make a difference to me. Frankly they are just fine being different colours. I could see it being more important if it were a neck through or if you wanted to contour the heal into the body, then I would probably want it to be from the same piece.

Cheers Peter.

4. theMIDrange

theMIDrange Member

electric......the boards are more than not the same color however...as stated they are quite disimilar in density and weight....

One guitar is a gibson V and the other a LP jr. Both traditionally would have used basically 'the same' wood and resulted in a homogenious 'gelled' sound. So I guess that would be my choice. Do I want a traditional gibson V or LP sound or should I mix n match to get another tone...In the end it may not matter, but I suspect it does change the end tone a bit...also there is practical neck tip considerations I suppose because the weights are disimillar. I don't want a heavy neck on a light V body but the opposite may be desirable etc...

5. TheCaffeinatedOne

TheCaffeinatedOne New Member

I think there's a trap in overanalyzing some of this stuff. My basic preference would be for a heavier wood for the body and a lighter for the neck, if only as a matter of balance.

I have a neck-heavy acoustic; small guitar that many years ago I loaded up with Grover tuners. It's not a distraction but it made more of a difference than I expected it to. So I'm wary of building something neck heavy.

With an electric guitar, I expect that most of the wood's effect on the tone will be attributable to the mass of the body.

6. theMIDrange

theMIDrange Member

it's bordering overanalyzing but in this case I still believe the tone would be changed depending on which combo is chosen. I'm just talking acoustically here. Once it's electric it may be hard to tell I agree, as it depends on one's rig. I plug straight into a two gain stage plexi however with low output pups so it's a pretty revealing rig and small changes do show up...

regarding neck vs body as contribution to tone, I used to think body was key until I heard this rory anecdote...but even still I think the body is more an contributer just my own experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=l_MZAORy8XY#t=235

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016