Luthiers - are you making a profit on your sales?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jim Ball, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Jim Ball

Jim Ball New Member

Now, a profit is not the same thing as earning a living. I suspect that many luthiers have a day job, or are retired :wave: and do not depend on their guitar sales to pay the bills. Still, do you make a profit that does more than cover your materials cost and compensates you (at least somewhat) for your labor?

So, how many guitars do you build a year and, if you do not mind sharing, what do they sell for on average?

2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

My goal right now is to ship a guitar every two weeks. I'm not to that point yet, but my builds in progress are stacking up really well to realize that goal very soon, within the next month or two. If I can consistently ship two guitars a month I'll be able to pay my bills. If I get more demand than that I'll likely have to hire help, but that could allow for a much better living. Goal is to get much more demand than that.

3. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

Yes, of course.

I'd have to say that if you're not building a profit margin into your pricing, then you should evaluate your pricing. :) Moving to full time in a couple of months and should have about 15 or so completed by year's end. Pricing is generally 1950-3200.

Sully

4. MountainCraft

MountainCraft New Member

Adam and Sully,

How long have you been at it?