Luthier To Be In Need Of Cnc Machine Advisement And/or Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by KBA, Dec 22, 2018.

1. KBA

KBA New Member

Greetings my friends,
    I am a first year Luthier whom is training myself and have decided to save up for a CNC machine to custom build electric guitar bodies, necks, and whatever I can really that will make a profit. I have a lifetime dedication to harmony and have decided a luthier is in line with the fostering of freedom and harmony allowing me to live in love and in peace. I have been examining and watching videos on YouTube which show people using CNC machines to produce electric guitar parts. I am intrigued and would like to start. Ideally I would use all parts manufactured that are as close as possible to my location, which is in Indiana in the USA. Least carbon footprint possible. Supporting my own people. I also am interested in acoustic guitars too. My situation is that I am currently with little funding but the ability to take what limited funding I have and save up to buy a CNC machine. Well eventually. I am considering buying used electric guitars and fixing them up and selling them for a fee. Perhaps painting, changing equipment, etc. I saw a video of a steampunk themed guitar, maybe themed guitars would be a good starting point. I have also seen nice equipment put into used guitars that have created value. Maybe I could rebrand guitars in this fashion and add my own value to them. Even selling them online. This way I can build up money to buy the CNC machine. I am in a small town where there just really is no where to work. So this is what I think of to gather money for my first CNC machine and equipment.

Questions:
    What first CNC machine would you recommend and software?
    Any ideas on ways to fix up electric guitars for profits?
    Any advice for someone starting out (advice that will help)?

Thanks for viewing my thread, I really do wish you all the best. Thank you for contributing to my search to add value to this world and help my fellow man.
    Kind Regards,
    KBA

2. KBA

KBA New Member

Perhaps the X-Carve or Shapeoko XL to start with, does anyone have experience using these machines? I have seen that the Laguna machines look very nice but currently are to expensive for me to be starting out with.

3. KBA

KBA New Member

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  4. KBA

KBA New Member

Well I am thinking more as I am exploring this craft more. I have decided first I need some books to study along with youtube videos and tutorials. Then a set of hand tools, and following some more power tools. After some work I am considering the openbuilds CNC machine, has anyone tried that out?

5. difalkner

difalkner Member

I built one a couple of years ago, bought the frame from Fine Line Automation in PA and then sourced the rest, designed the wiring schematic and related component hookups, and it's been a great first machine. CNC Router Parts has components that you can size and build to your own specs. My build is on several forums but here is one if you want to see it - https://www.routerforums.com/cnc-routing/97721-2nd-build-first-cnc-router.html.

David

6. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member