Luthier Birthday Ideas Please!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by LuthiersGirlfriend, Aug 14, 2013.

1. LuthiersGirlfriend

LuthiersGirlfriend New Member

Hi everyone...

My boyfriend's 23rd birthday is coming up. He graduated from a luthier school about a year ago and is working full time in guitar repair, and is beginning to build in his spare time. I want to get him something for his birthday, maybe a tool he could use a lot or a book about guitar making, but I feel like some input from some actual luthiers could help me out a lot. I'm looking to spend no more than like $100.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. emoney

emoney New Member

What type guitars does he favor? If, by chance, it's early Les Pauls, The Beauty of The Burst is a fantastic book and an extremely thoughtful gift. Still available on Amazon I think.

As for tools, do you know what he already has? There's so many.

3. LuthiersGirlfriend

LuthiersGirlfriend New Member

Hmm he doesn't own any Les Pauls but I've heard him talk about them! He has a benedetto, I think a martin, and some archtops that he built in luthiery school. He definitely seems to favor acoustics and fingerstyle playing though. Sorry for the clueless girlfriend response haha!

I don't think he owns a lot of his own tools at the moment. He really only uses the tools owned by the shop he works at, so he's looking to start accumulating his own set of tools.

4. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

evolved_insanity likes this.
  5. emoney

emoney New Member

I think the gift certificate is the safest idea. Or maybe a 2 for 1...a gift card from StewMac and a coffee table book that covers the history of guitars>

6. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

I agree with Murkar, gift cert. You could also use this place as well, they have tools. Luthier's Mercantile:
    Luthiers Mercantile International, Inc.
    When I left my mentor and his small shop to go out on my own he gave me a gift certificate to both LMI and StewMac. I was in heaven....

7. otterhound

otterhound New Member

I recommend a good set of nut files .
    Keep in mind that he may have a heart attack when he opens the gift . This is something that he will be able to use for a very long time .
    I will recommend a set of Sobret nut files . I bought mine from the Martin Guitarmakers store and you can get them online .
    Just be prepared for some major kindness afterwards .
    Good on you woman .

8. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

Well Girlfriend, I am so impressed that you sought out a luthier forum, created an account to ask advice for a present, you go :yesway:

I know of a couple of talented guys on here who also happen to make beautiful hand planes which would make an awesome gift for a luthier :D

-John

evolved_insanity likes this.
  9. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Member

first thing i thought when i saw the thread title was a nice hand plane but then again i've got hand planes on the brain right now :rofl:

10. Jim Engen

Jim Engen New Member

Definitely gift certificate. Most guys are pretty picky about their tools.

Jim