Lutherie E-Magazine?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Murkar, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Alas...it has no articles yet haha :rofl:

2. TKOjams

TKOjams Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know that because, Ich glaube nicht, speek oder lesen Deutsch.:D

3. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

BAM!

The website is up :D The first issue will be released in probably two months or so.

http://luthiermagazine.com/index.html

Sully likes this.
  4. emoney

emoney New Member

That's awesome, Murkar. You have a great eye for the visual which will bode well in a magazine, methinks.

If you need "Comedic Contributions", then I'm in. Otherwise, it will be great to read!

5. aeleus

aeleus Active Member

Looks great! I'm surprised the domain name was available.

6. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Thanks! I know eh? I was surprised as well, I thought for sure that it would be taken. There really aren't that many lutherie magazines though I guess.

I've contacted a couple people...the inside is filling up with content now ;) I am hoping to have the first five or six articles in a couple of months. Lots of guitar eye candy already in there now as well :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    Sully likes this.
  7. The Guitar Surgeon

The Guitar Surgeon New Member

I'd love to submit some articles. I have the writing skills and some knowledge after 30 years of working on guitars. I'd love to do it.

I think the form of pay would be to allow people who write an article to include their contact info at the end of their article so others in their area can seek them out. Just an idea. Others can debate it and decide if it's ok or not. I'm just one vote (if that, I guess). Also, how do I submit aritcles?

Bob

8. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Hey bob -

Awesome! You are more than welcome to submit an article, I would certainly encourage you to do so :) I have someone who reviews the papers for grammar, etc. before they are published. There are some guidelines etc. on the website - follow this link to see submission guidelines:

Articles

Also - that's a good idea I think about crediting people...but actually, it's already included! Everybody who submits an article will have their name and website listed on the first page of the magazine (under "Special thanks to our contributors"). There are actually even a couple of names and websites already on that page if you can believe it...

9. The Guitar Surgeon

The Guitar Surgeon New Member

Thanks for the response, and for getting the idea going. I should have read your page first.

Thanks, again. I'll do my homework, write something up, and submit it.

Bob

Murkar likes this.
  10. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

If I can be of help, then I will.

Riddle me this ..
    How exactly does an E-zine make money?

ads don't seem like they would cover enough of the costs.
    but then I'm probably missing something.

11. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I think donations would be the way to go. Many people would gladly donate to the cause if it's good enough.

12. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Thanks Bruce!

With regards to the money thing...a family member runs a small publishing business, so it will cost me almost nothing to produce this. The E-Magazine doesn't make money, but will break even with the ads. It will make money if I ever decide to make a print version, but that won't be for a year or two if I decide to go that route.

I may consider adding a donate button as you suggested Adam...have to think about that one a bit :) The biggest cost associated with making this really is my time, which doesn't cost me anything.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  13. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

Here's an interesting article How To Generate Revenue from Digital Editions

BTW Murkar, the sites look great. I can't wait to see the first edition.

-John

14. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Thanks! I better read that haha :D I have heard back from some very interesting people who may submit some articles - which I look forward to very much as well lol :)

15. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Active Member

This is great!

16. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

News!

The E-Magazine is now live; the first issue will likely be released sometime early in the new year (February-March?). I got in touch with a few people who will contribute articles for the first issue at the Ottawa Guitar Show. I removed the website I had up before in favor of one that has a system for authors to make submissions.

If anybody has an interest in writing an article, feel feel to share something useful - we do not allow self features in articles, but if you have interesting jigs, techniques, etc., all are welcome to submit articles via the new online submission system. You can find that and the new website at Luthier Magazine :)

Sully likes this.
  17. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

I am the general manager of a printer in Concord, CA and I have an extensive background in prepress. If you need help with anything regarding using and programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, InDesign etc.... please feel free to call on me at any time. I would be more than willing to help you if the need arises. Also might be interested in contributing, article wise. Also agree with Adam. Add a donate button. Paying for the site is a cost and your time is also worth something.

Gary

18. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

In a former life, I used to review high-end computer hardware for an online mag, and I often edited other contributor articles. I'm down to help if you need/want it.

In any case, I'm digging it.

19. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Thank you both! I may take you up on these offers at some point :)

Also @gb I will think about adding a donate button as well, I think it is a good idea to help cover the costs associated with making this thing.

20. Blue Belly Guitars

Blue Belly Guitars New Member

Very cool! Hope it works out. I've always wondered how well E-zines work, as well. Do you expect a lot of views? I have people hounding me about doing a blog. I can't imagine adding that to my daily routine, if it doesn't draw much. Interesting to hear that yours did well. The internet viewer is a strange & mysterious being, to me.