lp jr vs lp special differences?

Discussion in 'Plans, Designs & Software' started by The Outlaw, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Member

i've been wondering if the extra pickup is the only difference? as in would the bartlett lp jr plan also make a correct special with the addition of the extra pickup, and routing for electronics cavity and switch?

i've tried searching google but all the threads seem to be folks discussing p90 vs p100 and fb binding or no fb binding on lp jr special vs lp special rather than construction differences of lp jr vs lp special.

2. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader New Member

I'm thinking the jack hole is re-positioned such that a long bit can make a bee line through the control cavity to the switch through the p'up routes

haven't seen the bartlett plans, but angling the p'up routes at the same angle as the neck may be more of a concern with soapbars than with the single dogear p'up

the Rist option:
    "The official MLP Rist Guitars build thread" - Page 8 - MyLesPaul.com

if not, then the neck route is a flipped bridge pup route with the wider well closer to the switch.

flat vs carved - the pot layout... lower holes @ -60 degrees from their upper counterparts

:hmm: yeah, that's all I've got.

have fun.

3. LexiconDevil

LexiconDevil New Member

4. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Member

im more after the single cut but between the jr plans and the double cut spcl plans it should work out

5. LexiconDevil

LexiconDevil New Member

well then I don't have a full size plan of a single
    [​IMG]
    but it seems to be the same thing go in through the jack hole and drill through the 2 P90 corners into the switch cavity

6. 87hdrush

87hdrush Member

One difference I think is a major one is the neck joint. The Jr. has a 1/4 in lip on the cutaway side of the neck, the Special has a smooth joint on the cutaway side of the neck (flush with the body). look at a vintage Jr. on ebay or google images compared to the special, the neck joint makes a big difference if you are looking for that "Vintage" look.

7. pshupe

pshupe Member

If the neck joint is different then it could be a carved top?? The standard Junior neck joint has the neck the same width as the fret board and the end of the fretboard sits above the body. That is the neck join with the lip on the cutaway side. If the neck join is flush on the cutaway then the top would have to be sloped to match the neck angle, and the neck would have a tenon so the fretboard end hangs over the neck and sits on top of the body.

I google image of specials and it's hard to tell, some look flat which is perplexing as there wouldn't be enough bridge height to have a completely flat neck. Some more food for thought.

Cheers Peter.