LP DC Jr build Thread

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Fret Hopper, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Fret Hopper

Fret Hopper Member

I have started a scratch build using an alder body and a 5 piece laminated neck. I originally started a build thread on MLP, but wasn't getting any responses to my questions, with the exception of TNT423 and Barnaby.

I also have a build started using a GFS LP DC Jr body that I got cheap on clearance sale - $47 shipped to my door. That will be a separate thread as there have been a few pitfalls on that body.

Getting kind of late here in the upper ozone, so I am going to have a beer and plan the next steps to my builds. Probably won't be posting any real info until Thursday night - my son has baseball games tomorrow and a tournament this weekend.

From the ozone...

2. Fret Hopper

Fret Hopper Member

Here is my plan for the guitar, created using Paint.
    [​IMG]
    Started my build with a laminated neck made of 3 pcs of maple, and 2 walnut. I followed Bruce Bennet's advice and spread the glue using a cheap 3 inch roller. I didn't use a lot of glue and had very little squeeze out.
    [​IMG]
    Then I squared up the neck billet using a shooting board. There was a little creep when I clamped up the neck billet.
    [​IMG]
    An essential part of guitar building is evident in the photo...beer.

Then my neighbor let me use his table saw to cut the billet in half, for two necks, and cut the scarf joint. I used sapelle for the scarf, whichis from a 3X3X36 inch billet I have for a future build (yes, I have come down with a disease).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

more to follow.

From the ozone...

3. Fret Hopper

Fret Hopper Member

Next I cut the truss rod slot in both necks, using my neighbors table saw.
    [​IMG]
    During this time I had gotten my double action truss rod and rosewood fret board from LMI.

Then I used a 22" by 10 1/2 inch piece of alder for my body. The pieces from the neck area were used for wings on the body, to get it to 13 inches wide.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then cut it out with my jig saw and start sanding and filing.
    [​IMG]

Since the body was just under 1 1/2" inches thick, I glued up a 2 pcs of 1/2" by 8" oak and glued it to the back of the body.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am hoping to find a way to get the grain on the alder to show through a Mary Kaye style finish on the body, with the oak being more of the reddish-brown on the back of les pauls.

That's all for today. More to come this weekend.

From the ozone...

4. Fret Hopper

Fret Hopper Member

Regarding my plan, you'l note that it doesn't have the standard Jr pick guard. I am not a big fan of those and have decided to roll my own.

For a bridge, I want to use a Hipshot Baby Grand. Anyone have any feedback on those?

Tuners will most likely be Grovers.

The pick up will be a soap bar P90. Not sure what to use, since it is my first build and all, and I currently have a Strat and a tele. Keeping a budget in mind I am considering the following:

GFS P90

Parsons Street

Mojotone

The finish I would like, if I can get the grain to come out on the alder, is a Mary Kaye blonde, with the grain peaking through. Not sure how to do this, as I have read many posts saying alder is not suited to a Mary Kaye finish.

I would love to hear what others think of my plan.

From the ozone...

5. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

I don't know much about the baby grand specifically, but I am a big fan of Hipshot bridges. The 6-string guitar hardtail and all of the bass bridges I've used from Hipshot were just top-notch parts. Really first rate. I have no doubt that the baby grand is great.

6. Ronsonic

Ronsonic New Member

Oops, dubly post

7. Ronsonic

Ronsonic New Member

They're nice. I've got one and love it. Looks great and comfy under the hand. The hipshot tuners are also excellent. The lockers work great and the partially exposed gear looks really cool.

8. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

+1 on the hipshot tuners ron! Love them...best tuners I 've tried, they win by a mile.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  9. tnt423

tnt423 Member

I've installed a few of the Baby Grand bridges for people and like them quite a bit.

10. Fret Hopper

Fret Hopper Member

Been busy the last two weeks on this build and my other build, as time allowed between my son's baseball tournaments. I used my neighbors drill press and a 7/8ths forstner bit to hog out the neck pocket area, then chiseled away at it. It is 2.25"(W) by 3.25 inches(L) by 1.375"(H). THis pocket looks much better than the one on my GFS LP DC Jr build.
    [​IMG]
    After chisel work
    [​IMG]

And a test fit of the neck ...
    [​IMG]

Did some sanding on the body, started rounding the edges...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just saw a post on MLP about rounding edges by hand (no router). Routers scare the bejeezus out of me, so I will be reading that thread over and over again as more posts are added.

There was another great post on sharpening chisels - which I found to be invaluable, as I am doing a LOT of chiseling.

One thing I am wondering is whether it was such a good idea to put the oak on the back of the body. It is a beotch sanding the end grain. Live and learn I guess.

Not sure how much I will get done on it this weekend as I want to work on the other GFS body build. I figure it is better to make my mistakes on that one, versus this one.

As far as a finish on this, I am changing directions and thinking of going with a Reranch Seafoam Green or Vintage Cream. Reason is I wasn't finding anything that gave an indication I could get away with a Mary Kaye finish on this guitar.

I need to get some more materials ordered today or tomorrow - the Baby Grand bridge, tuners, TUSQ nut (1.75"), .25" MOP dot markers, frets, mainly for the other build. I figure I can always switch the parts from the other guitar to this one as the build progresses.

Anyways, I am really diggin' building guitars. I have my other two sapele body blanks sitting on a shelf and I think about what I can do with those. But, gotta stay focused on my two current builds and not get a head of myself.

From the ozone...
    Mark

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014