Loose Bridge Plate

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by Conor Searl, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Conor Searl

Conor Searl New Member

Hi everyone, so I've jumped into a real bucket of worms, but I'm learning so that's good.

I've got a Yamaki that has a lifting bridge. I thought it would be a simple fix (I don't know why...)

Turns out one of the X-Braces has a crack in it right near the X, one of the treble braces is loose, and there is a big crack above this spot on the top. Finally I've notice that the bridge plate which appears to be rosewood (but I've heard it's likely too thin and laminate) is lifting on the edges.

I think I've got a good handle on how to deal with the cracks and loose braces, so my question is, can I get away with gluing and clamping the bridge plate? It looks to be in good shape, but if it has to come out, it has to come out.

Thanks in advance.

Conor

2. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

Plywood bridge plates are usually a bear to remove. If you can just push some glue in the lifted edges and clamp it that would be best. Try a dry clamp run with a good fitting caul to see if when you clamp it the edges will go down. This all would be easier with the bridge off as well.

Conor Searl likes this.
  3. Conor Searl

Conor Searl New Member

Thanks Duplex Dave. I think that's the direction I'm leaning. The bridge is off, so I should be good to go.