Like Button?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Murkar, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Not sure what others think of this, but personally I have found that since forums started implementing the "Like" button for posts, there is a lot less actual conversation in most threads. I've noticed this not just here, but on all forums that I frequent (photography and graphic design forums) since the like button has now become so popularized.

Thoughts?

fatdaddypreacher likes this.
  2. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

I was tempted to just push the like button and let go. :D

I have difficulties with communication (of course the main reason is that I'm not a native speaker + the classical Finnish attitude of not speaking until you're spoken to) and like button is just an easy way to show that I'm keeping an eye of the thread.
    Usually I don't have much to say or anything to add, outside the forums I have even less to say. :D

The Outlaw, jcsimons and arturocivit like this.
  3. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

Murkar, i agree, but sometimes it's enough to just like a post. I have asked Alex to implement the "Thanks" button like we have on MLP. Anyone else agrees, please PM Alex.

-John

4. evolved_insanity

evolved_insanity Active Member

I do agree with you to a point. When people post pics or have thoughts that I do not care to elaborate on or are not qualified to do so, isn't it enough to hit a like button to say "yeah, I agree with this particular post or picture"?

There is a lot of talent on here and if someone asks a question about a topic that I know I have no knowledge about but am interested in the topic, I can hit the like button and be on my merry way until it is answered by someone else. I actually can't stand when people post just to post.

5. skeels

skeels New Member

skeels likes this

Murkar likes this.
  6. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Hmm...I see your points. :) Not saying it should be removed or anything, just noticed a difference b/w before and after they started using them on forums.

lol skeels

evolved_insanity likes this.
  7. skeels

skeels New Member

Sometimes I barely have time to skim through the forums and I can just drop some likes to let people know that their words -or pictures- are cool.
    Sometimes I use it when I respond to someone's post as a flag- sort of to let them know I left a response.

poro78 and jkes01 like this.
  8. jcsimons

jcsimons New Member

from a readers point of view, it become a little wearisome to have to read though all the (well earned) compliments people leave in the form of posts. A couple of builds I've followed on tdpri became nearly un-readable because of the torrents of praise. For the builder, its great, but I sometimes loose the train of thought. For me, the 'like' button is the perfect way to 'vote' without making a speech...

The Outlaw and evolved_insanity like this.
  9. LexiconDevil

LexiconDevil New Member

yeah there is a difference.
    before (for example) say I posted a pic of a I dunno really nice top or anything or maybe an entire photo set everyone who liked it would quote the post a dozen times just to say they 'like it' it or wow or anything of the sort and in short it created a hell of a lot of chatter clutter.
    not thats anything wrong with that exactly but a dozen people simply liking the original post really cleans up things a lot I think.

thanks button should be on all forum posts not just the 1st one though too often you see a post midway through a thread that really answers some questions or a tip or something that deserves it whereas the original post may not.