Leveling A Radiused Nut Slot

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by JamesB, Jul 23, 2018.

1. JamesB

JamesB New Member

I'd like to flatten the bottom of radiused (e.g. Fender) nut slots rather than try to radius-and-perfectly-match the bottom of the nut to a rounded slot... finding it to be easier thought than done, though! Can you guys with more experience offer some tips?...

2. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

Do you own a set of nut files?

If the guitar has a tremolo you will only make it harder to keep in tune by doing this, by the way. Not recommended.

3. JamesB

JamesB New Member

I do own several. That's interesting about the tremolo. I actually took mine off and decked the bridge, but I'm curious - why is a flat bottomed nut going to make trouble for a tremolo'ed bridge?...

4. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

When using a tremolo the string has to slide freely over the nut with a well-defined contact area. Check out the series by Galeazzo Frudua for more detail:

5. JamesB

JamesB New Member

Oh, now I see that I was misunderstood. I mean the slot in the neck for the nut - not the string slots in the nut:)

6. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

Ah! Sorry about the misunderstanding. Do you have a file that fits the slot width?

7. JamesB

JamesB New Member

Yes, I have Stew Mac's 1/8". More than the issue of flattening the nut slot bottom (I'm realizing that I'm better off buying nuts blanks with radiused bottoms) is doing whatever filing I need to without losing squareness at the bottom. In other words, somehow the file isn't quite reaching into the edges of the slot (where "walls" meet "floor"), resulting in a slot that's a touch narrow at the bottom. The nut won't seat. Any suggestions?...

8. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

Just to confirm: you're using the StewMac 1/8" Nut Seating File? How wide is the nut? Perhaps you should sand it down a little.

9. JamesB

JamesB New Member

Had it tight-fitted already, but now it's loose due to sloppy filing of the nut (not string) slot. Probably looking at shimming now. Thanks anyway for your help.

10. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

You could reduce the nut slot width using some wood filings and wood glue, if necessary.

11. rgraf

rgraf New Member

To answer your question, if you can lay the neck flat, the easiest way for me, would be to use a router plane. Second choice would be a Dremel or a router, making sure to be careful of the sides. Might need to clean it up a bit with a skew chisel. The nut slotting files seem a bit awkward to me. I'd personally just go with rounding the bottom of the nut. It's really not that difficult. Here's a link to a Stew Mac video showing the process: https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onli...p_and_Repair/shaping_a_fender_guitar_nut.html

12. Ray Carlton

Ray Carlton New Member

dont touch the slot - you may find metal at the bottom in the center - oops too late
    buy radiused nuts - use sticky back sandpaper stuck across the neck in front of 1st fret - it is very easy to get that nut to match perfectly
    practice it with nut size bits of maple until you get it right - use bone nuts which cost a few dollars a piece

13. Kenni

Kenni New Member

I really wouldn't touch the nut slot... It would be too much work, and you could end up with a nut slot that is significantly deeper then original, and then it will be a real pain to find some nut who'll fit that... I would go online and find some nut blanks with a curved bottom, they are pretty easy to find, and most of them have all the common radii on the, :)

Good luck!
    Cheers.

14. hippychip

hippychip New Member

Once you flatten the bottom of the nut slot you have created a nightmare for yourself, and anyone who owns the guitar in the future :(