keyboards

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Axeman270, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Axeman270

Axeman270 Member

looking at getting a cousin of mine a keyboard as a practice for eventually working up to piano.

Ive decided it'll need more than 61 Keys and here's what it's come down to

yamaha 235
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YPG-235-Portable-Graded-Action-Keyboard/dp/B003FVB7XA/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1417107742&sr=1-2&keywords=keyboard[/ame]

casio 245
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Casio-WK245-76-Key-Sensitive-Keyboard/dp/B00MJ83QZW/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t]Amazon.com: Casio Inc. WK245 76-Key Touch Sensitive Keyboard with Power Supply: Musical Instruments[/ame]

and an old forum I came across recommended weight keys (don't believe the above are), below is the cheapest weghted key I found, but lacks the bells and whistles of the others from what I can tell

casio 130
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/casio-cdp-130-digital-piano?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CNfl-9eFn8ICFSYSMwodZyIA9Q&kwid=productads-plaid^80558194947-sku^J09858000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^51870555867

Any thoughts? Not sure if the kid will stick with it, but also want it to translate well to the actual piano if it does stick

2. TKOjams

TKOjams Well-Known Member

I got nothin'

3. SimonB15

SimonB15 Active Member

IMO, weighted keys are unnecessary for learning. It's the basics of getting to know the keys, chords, scales, etc. that are important when beginning, and that will all translate to a piano. Maybe if the kid sticks with it, some day a weighted keyboard would be a good investment, but for starters I'd probably go with some bells and whistles that might help to keep them entertained and playing.

/my entirely unqualified 2 cents

4. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

A digital piano like the 3rd one you listed is for learning to play piano, but without the bulk and expense of a traditional acoustic piano. It's the way to go if you want your cousin to learn to play piano. They are usually weighted, pressure-sensitive keyboards that use sampled sounds (sometimes called wavetable synthesis) rather than "pure" synthesis to create sound.

But if you're looking for a synth keyboard player, weight keys and pressure sensitivity aren't necessary.