Just a friendly reminder

Discussion in 'Plans, Designs & Software' started by Gamble, Jul 29, 2013.

1. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

I agree totally. I work with these programs every day and we have from the very first version of Indesign to the Cloud Version they are leasing now. If you can Cs2 for free you have everything you need.

Gary

2. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

+1! I have used CS2 for a long time and agree that it's all you need. I never upgraded because after trying CS3 and CS4 I discovered they were basically the same as CS2, not much has changed.

3. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Actually the changes were huge, but, not on this level. For preparing files for printing, which is what I do, some of the changes they made in the design and pre-press process were incredible, but for building plans etc... not so much. The need for those changes doesn't exist for us. I would suggest if you can get a free version of Illustrator too, grab it. It is a really good illustration program and would be a big aid in designing a guitar. All of the Abobe CS suite programs are very interchangeable. You can copy and paste a Photoshop drawing right into Indesign and it will create the link and you can select edit original in Indesign and it will open Photoshop so you can make your change and when you save it it will automatically update Indesign with the change. That is my tip for today! LOL

Gary

4. PDotson

PDotson New Member

Illustrator is what I use to design guitars. I create a complete design then setup a separate file for templates which I then send to a laser cutter to have 1/4" acrylic templates made. I tend to use Photoshop and Illustrator together when doing mockups or website design. You can accomplish a lot with those 2 programs. Don't pass up the opportunity to get them for free!

5. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Here is the mantra for this type of stuff.

Illustrator is for doing illustrations and is vector art ( Vector art can be enlarged to any size and still have a high resolution )
    Photoshop is for working with photographs and special effects and is rastorized art. ( rastorized art loses resolution as you enlarge it or gains resolution as you reduce it).
    Indesign is the assembly program where it all comes together and that is where you add your type and some different types of effects to finish you project.

6. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

I have used Illustrator and Photoshop for years. Last year I purchased iDraw and Photoshop touch for my iPad. With iDraw I can open PDF plans as vector objects and make changes. Then used PS to do the "finishing" and layer them in with the plans. The end result looks pretty realistic.

I am currently working on a set of of plans loosely based on the LPDC body. Is is sort of an abomination in that it will have a "F****r" and "G****n" attributes. I don't want to give too much away yet :). I have not yet printed them out at full size yet. We'll see if the programs I used have any changes to the original plans.

-John

7. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Yeah, IDraw works on a pdf the same way Illustrator does. You can open pdfs using illustrator, make changes and re-save it. Basically the easy bench mark is, if it works for you and you can get it done from start to finish without a bunch of problems, then you are using the right programs.

8. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

I agree? I have CS5 on my windows machine, but wanted to be able to do the work on the iPad because I find it easier to freehand lines, not something I am terrible good at with a mouse. iDraw works pretty good, it's what I used to create the guitar in my avatar. :thumb:

-John

9. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Wow! I'm impressed. That is some handy graphics work you did for the avitar. Very nice. I have seen some "pro's" come no where near that kind of quality. Very well done.

Gary