Jointing the Plates - Video Tutorial

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by ericschaeferguitars, Mar 13, 2016.

1. ericschaeferguitars

ericschaeferguitars Member

HEADKNOCKER and jkes01 like this.
  2. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

Awesome videos Eric! Great way to spend Sunday morning enjoying my coffee. Thanks for sharing. Subscribed :thumb:

When setting up the plane, is it more important that the blade is 90 degrees to the board or the plane sole?

-John

ericschaeferguitars likes this.
  3. ericschaeferguitars

ericschaeferguitars Member

John, this may surprise you but neither are very important. Because the plates are stacked and cut together as one, then any deviations from 90 degrees will cancel out once the plates are flipped back open. For example, lets say that the blade is cutting at 88 degrees. So both plates have an 88 degree edge on them when stacked on the shooting board. However, when you flip the one plate over to check the fit, then that 88 degree cut now becomes a 92 degree cut. Now one plate has an 88 degree and one plate has a 92 degree edge. The deviation from 90 degrees is equal on both sides so they cancel out, and the joint is actually slightly stronger than if the cuts were truly 90 because there is a larger surface area for the joint.

I hope that makes some sense! Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the feedback! Good luck and let me know if that helps.

jkes01 likes this.
  4. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

Got it, thank you for the explanation.