John Lennon Hamburg Capri 325 Build

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Lewis, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Lewis

Lewis New Member

A couple more pics for you this morning in the light....I need to spend some time setting this up properly..ie. trussrod, nut, frets, wiring.. etc..but for now the acoustic mechanics of it work very well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wraub

wraub New Member

Oh my god...

Have been watching this all along, but seeing what you have accomplished in such a short time just boggles the mind.

Congratulations on a remarkable achievement, and a stellar looking guitar.

Please post soundclips if/when you can.

3. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Good work, how does it play?

4. Lewis

Lewis New Member

Its weird if you're not use to it...Feels and sounds like a banjo acoustically...I haven't plugged in yet as its not soldered up because I will be stripping it again to lacquer...

The action is nice but I need to do some fret work to stop some of the buzz down the neck....I have some old strings on it that I tuned to 'G C F A# D G' at the moment as a dry run..

Truss rod is working...intonation is OK...I need to cut another nut as I went too far with this one (I got too excited when putting the strings on ..lol) and the F string pops out so still have work to do on setup but that's no biggy..Its only stuff I have been doing for years on other guitars..

5. Lewis

Lewis New Member

DAY 11

Elongated Jack plate

I found a chrome light switch in a hardware store and cut it to size and polished the edge that was cut. I then made a press from a scrap piece of wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Laquer

After many test samples my results were pretty conclusive..I tried oil based varnishes which made the alder dark and mustard colour, shellac which was better but still dark..I tried neat cellulose..cellulose over shellac...French polished shellac...But nothing I did kept the lightness I wanted until I was advised by a woodwork forum that the only thing that would do this was acrylic wood varnish...So I experimented with this and it worked....I gave it 3 - 4 coats of acrylic interior wood varnish which I brushed on and sanded between coats..and then top coated with cellulose spray, sanded and buffed to a sheen with 'T-Cut'...The guitar now has that 'Alderglo' I was looking for and although it has gone a shade darker it was easily the lightest shade out of all my test samples I made and closest to the 'Alderglo' of Rickenbackers.

I am not sure if the original 325s in 1958 had the 'Alderglo' we see on the reissue Ricks, photos from that era are pretty rare and bad quality....But again this is a spec I wanted either way and am very happy with the result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  6. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

You probably could have bleached the wood slightly to get the desired result. Looks great though.

7. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

11 days? That's insane.

8. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Seems like waterbased polyurethane like General Finishes HP Gloss would have kept that bright, clean, clear finish. At any rate, it looks great man.

9. SimonB15

SimonB15 Active Member

My first scratch build took about 6 months, and I certainly didn't shape the body or neck taper with hand tools! Hell of a job, mate. Well done.

10. Lewis

Lewis New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  11. Lewis

Lewis New Member

12. batyrlan82

batyrlan82 New Member

Hi, Lewis!
    Due to Photobucket became venal scum would you send pictures and drawings of your project to my email batyrlan_at_gmail_dot_com?
    Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017