Jazzmaster Neck Issue...

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by Kenni, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Kenni

Kenni New Member

Hi guys!

I'm currently working on a Fender Jazzmaster, that a friend asked me to take a look at, and give a proper set-up.
    I got the guitar home, started doing my usual measuring, taking notes, etc.
    I came to measuring the neck relief, when I discovered that there was quite a bit of relief in the neck. I used my feeler gauges to measure the relief. I could stack feeler gauges under there, adding up to .040" in relief... It looked real crazy..
    The action on the guitar was set REAL high... of course, it had to, given that neck relief..

I then continued and took off the strings, to take a closer look at the truss rod, in order to bring down the neck relief. Normally I shoot for .012" or .010" in relief.
    I made sure the truss rod was able to loosen and tighten, and it was.
    I then began to tighten the rod a little, in order to take out the amount of relief.

I tightened the rod, gave it a couple of minutes, and went back to check the relief...
    Nothing had happened.. I went back, adjusted it again, gave it time, came back.. still nothing had happened..
    I can't get that big amount of relief out?!

What going on with this neck??

I did a little searching on the web, found some people saying I could clamp the neck down, in order to take out the relief..
    I haven't done that, and I'm not sure I want to - since I haven't done it before, but I want to know a little about it.. In case it turns out I can do it myself...

How would I do it?
    What would I need?
    What about the frets on the neck? Will they start to lift up, and cause problems?

Thanks, everyone!
    I'm a little puzzled here..
    Cheers!

2. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

What I've done in the past is loosen the truss rod all the way, and then tighten it all the way. Run it back and forth to loosen up the truss rod. You can apply clamping pressure to force movement, but it works better after the application of heat. This should not make the frets pop out in my experience. Good luck and let us know what happens.

3. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

its rare, but I have had a Fender neck that the TR anchor ( located under the nut area) was pulling into the neck further and the TR adjusting nut bottomed out against the rods threads and just ran out of adjustment room.
    make sure you can see movement of the neck of some kind BEFORE you bottom the nut out.
    If the TR nut does bottom out, you can sometimes stack a couple small washers under it and get a little extra adjustment out of it.

but if you see movement of the neck when turning the adjustment nut.. and then it goes back to where it was..
    then your TR anchor is either sliding/tearing its way up into the TR slot or somewhere the wood is giving way. or the rod itself is breaking apart.

4. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

Oh and make sure your TR adjusting nut AND the rods Threads are not stripped