Is This Maple Worth It?

Discussion in 'Wood' started by rududu, Nov 26, 2016.

1. rududu

rududu New Member

Hello. Doing a new build again, but this time have the chance to use local maple. However it is still raw and only bits that have anything on them are these. and im not good at judging raw timber. what do you think? they don't seem to me like the classic flame pieces and i rather order new ones (where i can tell they are AAA stuff) than drive 200km after these. but still want to know your opinion - maybe i am just blind.

Attached Files:

2. sosay

sosay Member

hay,what ya building?there three different pieces they are? i like the three of them,the middle one i like most,i ordered a spalted beech top for my tele build and it was not what it looked like on the website but i came around to loving it,i think as you get to routing the body shape you will like them all,here is where i am at now,nearly done,just need the neck plate/jack/controls/ pickups and oil to finish,i am very happy with it so far.

3. sosay

sosay Member

20161108_201255.jpg
    this is an older pic,would not let me put the other pic in,silly the way we can't put big picks in upright

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  4. pshupe

pshupe Member

Are those the only pictures to go by? No full length shots? What are the dimensions? It doesn't look like figured maple to me. There is a bit of figure in the first one. Looks like a crotch. Is it hard maple of another variety? It's very hard to tell after the tree is cut whether it is hard maple or soft. I sure wouldn't drive 200km for that, but I can step out the door and trip over the stuff, so I might not be a good judge.

Cheers Peter.

5. Tonedragon

Tonedragon New Member

Looks good to me . Looks like ambrosia with figure and maybe some Spalting