Internal Acoustic Soundboard

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Jim Ferguson, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson New Member

Internal acoustic soundboard

I have been a violin maker for a number of years and in 2013 I was reading about Orville Gibson and the creation of the archtop and came up with the internal soundboard design. I wrote the idea in my book of ideas and pretty much forgot about it until the beginning of last year when I had a little time to build a prototype. It was just a simple box with the soundboard inside but it worked so well I went straight to the office of a patent attorney and filed for a patent.
    Simply put, it's a quality tonewood soundboard that can be installed inside of any kind of instrument, in combination with a bridge that doesn't touch the top at all but passes through the top and rests on the internal soundboard.
    The advantages:
    1. The tall bridge gives more leverage to the strings making the resonance even more dramatic. (especially the bass strings)
    2. Simpler lighter bracing can be used on the soundboard. (like an archtop) again making it louder.
    3. String angles can be increased as well.
    4. Probably the biggest advantage is that you can separate the acoustic sound producing qualities of an instrument from the box. To put it crudely you can stick a soundboard inside of anything and make it sound pretty good. If you look up my website www.uhlandguitars.com you can see my prototype of the internal soundboard being used inside of an instrument no larger that a Les Paul with quite remarkable acoustic sound. Bear in mind that the soundboard inside this instrument is completely flat and therefore the tone is kind of like a resonator. However another advantage of this design is that you can customize the sound of the instrument by customizing the internal soundboard without changing the look of the instrument at all.
    What are your thoughts?
    I would greatly value any input.
    Thanks

2. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Is this anything like the stuff Lloyd Loar was doing almost a hundred years ago?

3. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson New Member

I think your referring to the virzi tone producer. That is a tonewood piece inside of the instrument but that's all of the resemblance. That has the function of adding complexity to the sound where mine is the sound. The bridge on my design passes through the top and rests completely on the internal soundboard.

4. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson New Member

So, I've got several more instruments in the works and got signed up for the NAMM show in nashville. What we're finding out is that the biggest benefits of the internal soundboard is when its used in a semi-hollow guitar. because the soundboard is inside the body its protected from the sound vibration in the room, cutting way down on the feedback. So were achieving better acoustic sound and less feedback. Needless to say I'm excited.