Installing Threaded inserts

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Purelojik, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

Alright so after this exam i have next week im going to finish up this walnut build but first i need some guidance on how to properly install Threaded inserts. I have both the brass and the wider thread stainless steel.

i tried on a piece of scrap wood that matches my neck wood, and it didnt end up so well using a T - driver so you can do it by hand. it went in fine but the sides of the wood started bulging. im guessing this is due to an inadequate pilot hole.

im thinking of buying a drill press from harbor freight because thers a ton of things which i can use it for. i can finally drill truly 90 degree holes which will help this im sure.

in the meantime, are there any other tips and tricks that i should know to make this all go smoother? the neck wood im using is Monterillo/tiger rosewood which is harder than most rosewoods from what i gather.

2. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Definitely use a drill press.

I have a system for installing the inserts that works very well for me, though I've never seen anyone else use the same technique.

Instead of the driver bit designed for it, I use a screw.

The inserts I use are #8-32, and are about 1/2" long. So I use a #8-32x1/2" socket cap screw to put them in.

First I lube the installation screw with some paste wax, then thread it into the insert.

Then I drill the pilot approximately the same diameter as the insert's outer diameter, not including the threads, and 1/2" deep.

Then spread a little 5-minute epoxy along the inside wall of the pilot hole.

Using a 5/32" T-handle allen wrench, I manually screw the insert into the pilot hole until it bottoms out. Because the threaded portion of the installation screw is only as long as the insert, the insert is allowed to rest flush at the bottom of the hole.

The paste wax on the screw allows me to remove it without also taking the insert back out.

The last step is to sand the neck heel to bring the inserts perfectly flush after they are all installed.

Leo likes this.
  3. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

You are definately on the right track by practicing 1st in a piece of scrap. The harder the wood, the larger the hole you need. Mohagany can take an insert that is the same diameter as the barrel, but maple won't. For maple you only need about 1/32" of thread to grab or even a little less. You find out when you dry fit in the scrap like you did.
    I like to use epoxy or thick CA.
    Heretic's advice is perfect.
    If you can't find a socket head cap screw you can also lock 2 nuts together about a 1/4" up the threads on a bolt and drive it in with your nut driver by hand or a ratchet. I like the nut driver, but if you get really good you can cut the head off the bolt and chuck it up in your screwgun and really drive them in!
    Good luck.

4. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

perfect guys! the neck screws im using are cap screws lol. the same one that aaron of blackwater recommended months ago when i first made the neck bolting question a thread.

Thanks a lot guys i'll be posting how it all turns out. Heretic remind me to buy you a beer sometime, your tutorial on emachineshop really was a wonderful thing.

5. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

Long story short ...
    I use 8 mm (incl. threads) diameter steel inserts in a 7,5 mm pilot hole in maple.
    I also recommend having them sitting slightly recessed (about 0,5 - 1 mm) in the heel.

This is how I install them: works perfect!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIhEqoKE8Dc]Installing Metal Threaded Inserts For Wood - YouTube[/ame]

KnightroExpress likes this.
  6. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Active Member

Well dang, I did it all wrong. I didn't know the slot was supposed to go down into the pilot hole! Thanks for posting this!

7. Knarbens

Well, I don't think so! I don't share this particular opinion in the video.
    I think if it was the case even the allen key head inserts would have a slot.

8. LexiconDevil

LexiconDevil New Member

that's the first video I've seen mention this or show it like that.
    Everything I've seen & done is it's drill pilot hole,tap thread,screw in with either a blade screwdriver or hex key (depending on what your insert has) none of this power drill and cut off bolt things.

9. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Active Member

I got a T-handled tool thing that's made for installing these inserts, so I don't feel that the drill press/bolt combo is necessary.

10. LexiconDevil

LexiconDevil New Member

which inserts do you people prefer or use?
    I often see these for sale everywhere as a "threaded insert neck kit" but that's a chipboard thread ...
    [​IMG]
    but i use these with the knife edge for hardwood
    [​IMG]
    Thread Inserts for Hard Wood by E-Z LOK

11. Knarbens

I use 12 mm long zink-coated steel inserts with 30 or 35 mm (depends on the bodythickness) long, M4 allen head screws and standard bolt-on "washers".

[​IMG]

12. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

hey Knarbens, where do you get those ferrules for the neck?

13. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Those look like standard StewMac or Allparts ferrules. The difference is mostly that the Allparts ones are a little smaller than the StewMac ones.

14. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

Hey guys what tool does one use to chamfer the pilot holes to prevent the wood from cracking? sandpaper would just be annoying as hell and i'd like a neat result

15. Dr.K

Dr.K New Member

16. Knarbens

As Heretic mentioned these are standard single bolt-on ferrules.
    Mine have an outer diameter of 12 mm and 5 mm hole size.

[​IMG]

17. Metal Snake

Metal Snake New Member

Countersink bit.

18. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

AH! thats the name. thanks dudes