Installing An Electric Bridge On An Acoustic-electric Guitar With Under Saddle Pickup

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by tomdoff, Apr 20, 2018.

1. tomdoff

tomdoff New Member

I'm currently in the process of performing a conversion on my acoustic electric guitar. One of the changes I'd like to make is to install an electric bridge on the guitar. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to still interact with the sound board when using an electric bridge, and if I would still be able to use the under saddle pickup that the guitar currently has, or if I would need to install a new pickup. Many thanks!

2. jayjackson

jayjackson New Member

first you will have to remove the old bridge and saddle to put a new one in once removed you will have to find a saddle and bridge that's about the same hight.once the old saddle is removed was it set down into the top with a cut out.or is it still flat solid wood,if its flat solid wood then the old electric mic can be used as it is. not shure how or what you will use as a string stop Tail piece. Examine how Arch top guitars are put together at bridge and tail piece. Any way it has a lot to do with how the guitar is built if you ave the type saddle that has the holes in the back going into the guitar then you will have those holes thru the top.you could sand the saddle down to place another saddle and bridge in that spot.

3. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member