Infrared Heaters

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by stratlt, Jul 4, 2013.

1. stratlt

stratlt New Member

Hi,

It's my first post here. I am from Lithuania, long time ago I was a professional musician, but now for about 20 years working for a company that sells musical instruments in Lithuania. We are distributors, but also have one music shop. I have one very specific question.
    Owner of the house where is our shop wants to replace the heating system. He wants to install infrared heaters. Maybe someone can explain to me how this might affect the acoustic and electric guitars? It's very urgent and we believe an important issue....
    I know that infrared heat dries out the room and does not add any moist to the air. Our summers are warm and winters are very cold and the heating time is very difficult to maintain the moisture in the room. We think that the infrared heating system is a bad decision. Any recommendations?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  2. TKOjams

TKOjams Well-Known Member

Buy a humidifier and monitor the humidity level very closely. Other than that, there's nothing you can do other than to move elsewhere.

3. stratlt

stratlt New Member

Thanks for reply. We use humidifiers and moisture level is always under control. But infrared heating system works differently than other heating systems and we want to know how it can directly affect the guitars and other musical instruments.

4. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

All guitars can suffer from lack of humidity, but none more than solid wood acoustics. You really need to maintain a minimum 45% to 50% for the acoustics. They can be in a separate room if neccesary. Trying to sell a bunch of dried out guitars with cracks and sharp fret ends is not a good situation.....
    As far as infared, it shouldn't matter. Any heat source will remove humidity. (just keep the instruments away from the heat source, obviously) Air conditioning removes the humidity as well but I don't think thats an issue for your situation.

stratlt likes this.
  5. stratlt

stratlt New Member

Being in this business (as well as playing the violin and guitar at an early age) more than 20 years, I understand the importance of humidity monitoring. Just infrared heating system is new to me .. I've heard rumors that this system can remove more moisture from the instrument than other systems because it directly affects the objects in the room.

6. evolved_insanity

evolved_insanity Active Member

Infrared heaters tend to heat objects directly rather than the air around them. If you use them, keep the wood far, far, away. You could also cover the wood and keep it covered at all times but since that doesn't seem to be an option, try to find another heating source.

7. stratlt

stratlt New Member

Thank you very much for your answer!