I'm in the process of renting a small workshop

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Paulsar, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Paulsar

Paulsar New Member

There is a lack of updates to this thread because it's snowing, I take public transportation and the city takes their time clearing the sidewalks (like, they wait for snow to melt in the spring) and getting to the shop wet from the knees down ain't no fun. :(

But I'm hovering over my desk at home working on 2 guitar plans, with hot coffee and dry feet, so it's not like I'm letting this down time go to waste.

Muahaha!

2. Jim Ball

Jim Ball New Member

One issue I haven't seen addressed in this thread, so I'll ask it; What have you thought about for security? This is not your residence, so it will be left unattended for periods of time. Does the building have 24 hr security? Can you install an alarm? Are the entrance and exits to the shop fitted with steel doors & door frames with deadbolt locks? And so on...
    You are going to have your valuable tools and inventory in this space, so it behooves you to do everything you can to deter thieves.

3. difalkner

difalkner Member

Cameras and DVR are always nice to have. They won't stop anyone but sure do give you some assurance if something happens. If you plan to have an Internet connection there then you can monitor your space remotely.

4. Paulsar

Paulsar New Member

Hi guys,

The place is pretty secure. Tons of cameras, bars, etc.

Edit: Oops!! Deleted this part because, ummm, posting the security stuff on the internet is not the most intelligent thing to do now is it! LOL!!

The only people getting in there unauthorized would need to go to a LOT of effort just for tools that would only be worth a couple hundred bucks at a pawn shop.

Another edit... But I guess with the price of Maple and other luthier type of woods these days, well, you can never be too protective over your wood hoard... ;)

5. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

Probably won't be having any cheer leading classes until at least spring....:D

I moved to San Diego in 1997 from Denver CO, don't miss the snow at all...

6. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Wow! Nice find, for 300$/mo rent that place is great ;)

7. Paulsar

Paulsar New Member

Well, I guess this shop was too good to be true. Landlord says he made a mistake on the rent and now wants almost 50% more. Tried to get me to sign a revised lease to that effect.

My response was "So does this mean the current lease is null and void?"

Him: "Basically, yes."

Me: "Well, I paid first and last months rent when I rented the place, so I'll have my stuff out before the end of this month."

Then he tried to backpedal and reduce it a little. I shook my head and left without saying anything else.

What the hell is it with people these days? Or am I just a magnet that attracts these creatures?

Anyone who knows me knows that I have Zero tolerance for this sort of thing.

So, I guess it's back to working from my apartment again, which sucks, but I'm not going to suffer or be taken advantage of for someone else's mistakes.

I guess one good thing is that I didn't have any large equipment there yet.

8. Paulsar

Paulsar New Member

Thinking out loud...

I'll make body blanks, tops and neck blanks for a few guitars and basses out of the maple, black locust and bloodwood I have collected. I have enough for about 10-12 instruments. After taking some measurements here, I'll take apart the work benches and use them here at my apartment. I'll finish the pickup winder, the scroll saw can be used for pickup bobbins and many other things, etc.

Lots of people here on this forum build guitars out of their apartments and turn out some quality work. There's no reason why I can't do it too. I'll just prep everything over at the shop while I still have it and bring it here and set it up.

Right?

9. MojoMonster

MojoMonster New Member

If you can get away with it without the neighbors complaining about the noise, sure.

I'd invest in a decent vacuum system... something you can plug into the machines you are using.

Sawdust will get everywhere.

Good luck!

10. difalkner

difalkner Member

That's a bummer! But I like your attitude on moving back to your apartment for building. Maybe you'll get a shop one day soon. Good luck!

11. DRF

DRF Member

It was quite exciting reading this thread, I mean seeing a guy take the plunge setting up a new shop and then wham, anybody who rents 1million sq ft of spaces is in the biz for that obviously and knows whats what, and then comes back again, what a shyster, people like that make me sick.