Ideas for project

Discussion in 'Plans, Designs & Software' started by ThermicSauce, Jul 19, 2014.

1. ThermicSauce

ThermicSauce New Member

Hey
    for a project at college I've decided to build a guitar and it will be my first time doing so, and I'd like to collect some ideas on what woods would be best for a small budget whilst still being great, and also whether it would be better to get plans to build a copy such as a Jazzmaster or Tele or come up with my own design.
    So it would be appreciated if anyone could post what their favourite wood, design, colour or finish and maybe point me to some sites that would help me with building my first guitar
    thanks

2. Ronsonic

Ronsonic New Member

Read build threads; here, at MLP and at TDPRI. Lots of build threads. All of these forums (fora?) have collections of plans, and links to more.

There are a lot of stupid, small, weird, interactive and non-obvious factors in laying out a guitar design, so it's well to start with an existing plan or pattern of a guitar and go from there.

As for wood choice all the most common body materials can get expensive, they're popular and a guy building to sell has to get what customers think is appealing. You have alternatives. I'd suggest that for the neck you keep it simple. Straight grained hard maple is relatively inexpensive and very reliable.