I Need F Holes

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by TIC, Aug 7, 2016.

1. TIC

TIC New Member

HI, new here. im building a hollow body LP, is there someplace to download and print out the proper f holes for a LP? i never cut f holes, so im dreading it, like the first time i did a inlay.

2. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  3. TIC

TIC New Member

Im building a full hollow body LP of my own design, no plans. but dont have a source to trace f hole from,

4. EvilAsh

EvilAsh New Member

If it's your own design, wouldn't it be better if the f holes were your own design as well? Just sayin'

5. TIC

TIC New Member

thanks for nothin

6. EvilAsh

EvilAsh New Member

Hey TIC, sorry I meant no offence. I just thought that GuitarBuilder's advice was good, and it's what I would do. And if the result was slightly different to all the generic templates then that's a good thing!

If you want to buy one you could use this:

https://www.amazon.com/F-Hole-Routing-Template-9-7-Sharp/dp/B00K7FI1O0

This was the first thing I came across, I'm sure there are others out there

:)

7. pshupe

pshupe Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'd tend to agree with EvilAsh - just draw something or download from the internet. There isn't much to F holes and lots are completely different. I think I just downloaded a pic of the internet then traced in a cad program.

Cheers Peter.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  8. pshupe

pshupe Member

Let me know what kind you want and I can draw them for you and send you a printable pdf.

Cheers Peter.

9. TIC

TIC New Member

IM sorry for the smartass reply, sometimes thats the only way to get a responce, most times its someone cussing me. i dont get out much. i live on a mtn. in the woods, i work at home and only get off the mtn. on sat. to buy groceries or deliver something i made and sold. i dont know anybody that makes guitars, so the only people i can ask stuff is on these forums. i can build anything, either wood or steel, i can fix any thing under the sun. but i dont have any artistic talent at all, none. i would love to design my own sound holes, but when i turn to that part of my brain, theres nobody home. im useing a LP outline but i cut the body out all the way around the lower bout up to the top of the waist, i left 3/4 " for the sides, im useing a front and back cover thick enough to concave the insides and arch the outside front and back. so the caps will be 1/4" through out. so i would really like some wider openings than standard 4" f holes. oh and the entire guitar is made from cherry. from a blow down about 9 yrs ago the trunk measured 22" at waist high. the caps im useing is one piece figured crotch. so i may try to come up with something differant , like im still trying to come up with my own headstock.

10. EvilAsh

EvilAsh New Member

Sorry my reply was pretty unhelpful, I didn't mean design something radical or completely bespoke, just use an existing design, and scale it to fit. The result would be traditional but slightly different. On the design front I am with you, I am not very good at coming up with unique stuff, my current project is basically a cross between an ibanez/prs/strat (literally by tracing round my guitars).

Sounds like the other folks can offer more help anyway, hope you find the info you're after!

Also by the sounds of it your wood working skills are way beyond mine!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  11. TIC

TIC New Member

should i cut the f holes before or after i carve the top?

12. rasby

rasby New Member

this is probably late for your needs, but in my last build, a pair of El Trovador resonators, I took a pic from their website and brought it to a custom print shop. Knowing the lower bout dimensions. they blew it up to size and printed a few copies. For the F-holes I simply made a dwg using carbon paper. I then made a template from plexigalss, expanded sized, to accommodate the right router bit and rub collar. It worked really well. It was a flat top. You have probably by now solved your problem, How did it come out??

13. TIC

TIC New Member

nice design. i keep forgetting you can find anything in the world at the push of a button. i found some on the inet. printed them out, and there they were. the print set up lets you scale them to any size. then i did the same thing for a egg shape for a sound hole on a small travel guitar im working on.