How To Make Guitar Shaped Hardcases?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by LPBR, Apr 17, 2018.

1. LPBR

LPBR New Member

Hey friends!

Long time no speak... I am not sure if this is the right place to start this thread but here we go...

I think this may be a bit tricky because I searched online and found absolutely NOTHING about the subject!

OK, I am after some advice on how to start building SHAPED hardcases for my guitars. I know how to make rectangle cases (actually I have made some) but I find them very ugly and clumsy and now I would like to try to make shaped ones.

Any clue about which direction to go to start making my shaped cases? I would appreciate tips, material reference, etc...

Thank you!

2. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

its much like making an acoustic.

you'll need a mold of your final shape first,
    then glue up thin "veneers" in the mold to make your sides. I like to glue up to at least a 3/8-1/2 thickness depending on the weight of the guitar I plan to protect with the case.

then just glue on the top and back, sand it all up. then Cover in some kind of "tolex". doing the interior fur and foam is a BUNCH of fun!.. then screw on the hardware.
    Ta da! shaped case.... and you'll only spend about $450 to build the first one.

the mold is the REAL PAIN to build as you will likely need an outter shape mold PLUS an inner shape mold that fits together, minus the thickness of the case material itself..

you can try steam bending as well. but intricate shapes won't be easy and a few shape won't even be possible with that method.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  3. Gary

Gary New Member

You might try using radius bending plywood. It is made to bend around radiuses. You will probably be able to get it a cabinet supply stores for companies that build kitchen and bathroom cabinets.