How Could I Make A Keyboard With As Many Blacks As White Keys?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Electronics & Parts' started by Educob, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Educob

Educob New Member

Hi.

This is going to sound weird but the current piano design doesn't make any sense for me.
    Every chord must be learned in as many as 12 different ways.

If a keyboard had as many black keys as white keys every chord whould have to be learned only in two forms which are symmetric (so it is really just a single form).

Would it be possible to modify an existing keyboard to pack the keys: white, black, white, black and so forth?

Thanks.

2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

No. There is no B#/Cb, and there is no E#/Fb, since B to C and E to F are only a half step.

You would create many more issues if you made every other key a black key, you'd wind up really complicating the instrument for 12 tone music.

3. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

And this is where your post should have stopped.
    Either continue studying until it DOES make sense, or just stop and give up keyboard.

4. Educob

Educob New Member

I didn't explain myself clearly.
    I know perfectly the notes.
    From E the keyboard will go to a black key with F, then a white key with F#, etc.
    It is just logical to have it this way. The only reason for the irrational current layout is the usual suspect "historical reasons".

So my question remains. Could I modify a keyboard in order to have as many black keys as white ones?

5. Educob

Educob New Member

So it seems that nobody here knows how to reconfigure a keyboard to have as many black keys as white ones.

6. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I think nobody wants to think about it because it doesn't make any sense.

7. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

This post is hilareous!

8. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

So after 300 years of keyboard development and acceptance, you think you got a better idea?
    PROVE IT.

9. Educob

Educob New Member

I cannot prove it without the keyboard. I think that modifying an ordinary keyboard should be easy enough.
    300 years of acceptance means really nothing. Many wrong ideas have been accepted for centuries (like that we need politicians, central banks, intelligence agencies, taxes, memorizing garbage at school, that newspapers inform, ...).
    I think is not intelligent having to learn 12 ways to play a chord or scale (I actually find it stupid)
    If the keyboard has as many blacks as whites, moving the chord/scale up and down is automatic like with a guitar (the instrument I play).
    Dividing the effort to learn piano by 12 is a remarkable improvement.

Some of you might find it hilarious (unless English is a 2nd language for you learn spelling) but like everything else once this idea is on tv "suddently" is a good idea, breakthrough, etc.

All new ideas passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    We are at stage 1.
    At stage 2 all seasoned pianists and piano manufacturers will oppose it vehemently.
    At stage 3 piano students will be thankful for how easy leaning piano has become.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  10. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

If you have an even number of black and white keys then you get to a point where all your whole notes are on black keys and all your b/#'s are on white keys, you're not making anything simpler, you're making it more complex for no reason.

Illustration, this definitely doesn't make sense.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  11. Educob

Educob New Member

Hi. Thanks for the image.

I don't see what you mean. Every note will always be the same color: C will always be white, c# always black and so on until we get again C white. Same as in the classic layout where every note always stays either black or white. That's quite clear on your image.

Can you explain with more detail what you mean?
    Thanks.

By the way. Another advantage of my layout is that the octave is shorter so easier for people with small hands.

12. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Say you're playing C major... 3 of the keys are white keys, while 4 of them are black. That makes your chords a mess, it makes your scale a mess. It doesn't make sense at all.

13. Educob

Educob New Member

But isn't that what happens in some other tones? Why is not a problem with, say, F? There you have some whites and some blacks.
    Imagine you are playing a song in C and then you are told to play it in C# or D. That's a big change in the classic layout but a piece of cake in the new one.
    What is a mess is learning every single chord/scale in 12 different forms. How many mistakes have you made changing from one tone to another? Hundreds? Thousands?

With this new layout you only learn 2 ways which are symmetric.
    Don't you see the extreme simplification of chords and scales in this layout?

14. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

You are either dense as a rock, or you're trolling us. Which is it?

Besides, this is a luthier forum - not a keyboard forum.....

15. Educob

Educob New Member

Maybe it's my mistake. Luthiers make and repair instruments. Don't they?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  16. Educob

Educob New Member

I found the piano already exists.
    I was losing my time talking to low IQ people.

You can leave insulting comments in the video if you wish.

Keep preserving as sacred antique crap.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  17. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Luthier means stringed instruments, not pianos. But please, tell me again how low IQ I am.

18. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

GEE.... all this drivel about black and white keys, and I see COLORED keys on the video.
    But don't let reality intrude into your dementia.

19. Cagey

Cagey New Member

This reminds me of the ongoing pushback against typist's QWERTY keyboards in favor of alphabetical or Dvorak keyboards, or keyboards that are shaped more "ergonomically". The difference is the various proposed changes to the traditional typist's keyboards actually make physical/logical sense out of what is clearly a mess, while the piano keyboard is already laid out in a physically/logically ideal way and any change to it would make a mess.

If the current piano keyboard doesn't make sense, it's quite likely there's an "ah, ha!" moment that hasn't occurred yet for whoever is struggling to understand it.

Adam likes this.
  20. Tim & Allison Whiteside

Tim & Allison Whiteside New Member

Perhaps a little music theory would help.

Adam likes this.